Emirates Releasing Last-Minute First Class Award Space for Its New 777 Suites
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If there’s one airline in the world that doesn’t need to innovate further, it’s Emirates, which won adoration from travelers worldwide with its gold-studded first class suites and onboard showers on its A380 aircraft. Yet innovate is exactly what Emirates did in 2017, with a complete redesign of the first class experience on select Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.
The stunning new cabins feature floor to ceiling closing doors and a host of technological improvements.
The middle seats are even outfitted with high-definition virtual windows that use exterior cameras to offer a crisp view of the outside world.
Emirates began by installing this product only on newly-delivered 777 aircraft and has been slow to roll it out to the rest of the fleet. You’ll only find this revolutionary seat on a limited number of routes, from Dubai (DXB) to cities such as Brussels (BRU), Geneva (GVA) and Vienna (VIE). While Emirates first class awards have gotten much harder to book in recent years, for a long time Emirates was blocking all first class award space on planes featuring this new cabin.
It appears that this is changing, and Emirates has begun to release some first class award space for this new product. A TPG reader emailed to let us know that he successfully ticketed a flight through Japan Airlines Mileage Bank. However, this space is only showing up 24-48 hours before departure.
Thankfully ExpertFlyer makes it easy to set an alert in case space does become available. You’ll also want to use ExpertFlyer to double-check the seat map before booking. If you see the six-seat configuration shown below you’re good to go with the new suites, but if you see eight seats in a 1-2-1 layout you’ll be on the “old” first class (which still features opulent suites with closing doors).
If you’re booked on a business class Emirates award ticket on one of these new planes, you should definitely keep an eye on ExpertFlyer as your departure date approaches in case award space opens up in first class. Here are the fees to change your award ticket for a couple of popular programs for booking Emirates awards:
- Emirates Skywards: $25
- JAL Mileage Bank: 3,100 JPY (~$28)
Unfortunately, Alaska Airlines doesn’t publish an award chart for Emirates between the Middle East and Europe, the only routes that currently use the updated suites. As a result, you can’t use Mileage Plan miles for this first class product until the carrier expands to other regions.
And in the mean time, here are a few TPG reviews of Emirates first class to help pique your excitement:
- The Ultimate Guide to Emirates First Class
- Emirates’ New 777 First-Class Suite From Dubai to Brussels
H/T: TPG reader Oscar.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees