Everything you need to know about Delta’s 2022 elite status MQM rollover
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, Delta made waves when it announced it would roll over all Medallion Qualification Mile (MQM) balances from 2021 to 2022. This is an extension of last year’s rollover that helped those flying less during the height of the coronavirus pandemic earn or upgrade Delta Medallion elite status in 2021.
Since publishing the news in July, I’ve received countless emails asking which MQMs will actually roll over to 2022.
Will it be all MQMs earned through flying? Will 2020 MQMs roll over to 2022? These are all valid questions, especially given how generous this offer is on paper.
Let’s take a closer look at Delta’s 2022 MQM rollover and discuss exactly which MQMs will make their way to your SkyMiles account next year.
For TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
A closer look at Delta’s 2022 MQM rollover
Yes, 2020 MQMs roll over to 2022
Let’s start with the question on everyone’s mind.
Yes, the MQMs that rolled over from 2020 to 2021 will now roll over to 2022. As stated in the terms and conditions, “all MQMs in the account at the end of 2021” will move over to the 2022 qualification year. Further, “any MQMs you rolled over from 2020 to 2021” are explicitly stated as included in this promotion.
So if you ended 2020 with 20,000 MQMs in your account, those same MQMs will move right on over to 2022. While this could have some unforeseen consequences for Delta elites, it makes it easier than ever for Delta loyalists to upgrade their status tiers. It will also make it far easier for elites to requalify for 2023 elite status if benefits aren’t extended for another year.
All 2021 MQMs roll over to 2022 regardless of how they were earned
In addition, the terms and conditions state that all MQMs — regardless of how they were earned — will roll over from 2021 to 2022. This includes MQMs earned by flying, Status Boosts from Delta cobranded credit card spending, the Status Accelerator promotion and others. In Delta’s words:
“All SkyMiles Members will roll over all MQMs that they have at the end of 2021 into 2022. These MQMs will be counted toward earning 2023 Medallion Status. This includes MQMs from travel and any Status Boosts from your Delta SkyMiles American Express Platinum or Reserve Card, and any MQMs you rolled over from 2020 to 2021 – all MQMs in the account at the end of 2021.”
It’s pretty clear-cut: All MQMs in your account will roll over, and you’ll start 2022 with the same MQM balance you had when 2021 ended.
Medallion Qualification Dollars, Segments do not roll over
Now for the bad news. Like last year’s MQM rollover, Medallion Qualification Dollars and Medallion Qualification Segments do not roll over to 2022. Further, you need to re-earn your MQD waiver in 2022 if you earned it with a credit card in 2021. This will help Delta drum up revenue next year as elites work to re-earn status for 2023.
Delta has been the most generous airline when it comes to elite status extensions and promotions. They were the first to extend status in both 2020 and 2021 and are now leading the charge with rolling over elite progress made this year into next.
In short, all the Delta MQMs you earn in 2021 — including the MQMs rolled over from 2020 — will roll over to 2022 and give you a jump-start on reaching your Delta elite status goals next year.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees