Why Now Is the Best Time to Buy 2019 Theme Park Tickets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
As the weather gets warmer and spring break approaches, many family travelers begin thinking a bit more about their next theme park trip. Not surprisingly, this is the time of year when many parks offer deals and steals to entice potential visitors for the rest of the year.
Whether you are buying spring tickets for a visit during the lower crowd months or purchasing for summer to lock in a low price, either approach can save you a lot of cash on limited-time offers.
We’ve rounded up some of the best ticket deals available right now around the country:
Universal Orlando Spring Savings
Ticket deals are not that common at major theme parks like Universal Orlando. But if you can squeeze in a visit before the summer rush, you can take advantage of substantial ticket savings. Universal Orlando is currently offering tickets with two days free if you buy two days. This option is available on both single park tickets and park-to-park tickets (Universal’s name for the park hopper option). Guests can also add on Universal’s water park Volcano Bay for an additional fee.
With this deal, an adult visiting Universal for four days can buy a park-to-park ticket for just $274.99 plus tax — an average cost of just $68.75 per day. If you don’t want to park hop, a four-day, one-park-per-day ticket is only $214.99.
To take advantage of this deal, you must purchase by March 14, 2019. The tickets expire on June 30, 2019.
Hersheypark Ticket Deals
Hersheypark in Hershey, Pennsylvania, is a pretty sweet place to visit. But a visit may be a whole lot sweeter if you lock in the park’s highly discounted pricing on one- and two-day tickets. Offered directly on the Hersheypark website, guests pay only $39.95 for a single day and $68 for a two-day ticket. You must purchase tickets by March 31, 2019, to lock in this price, but the tickets are good all summer long.
Disneyland Spring Ticket Discounts
True Disney tickets discounts are few and far between, so when they happen, take notice. Disneyland in Anaheim, California is currently offering a rare spring ticket deal for visits through May 23, 2019, with blackout dates on April 14–22. Prices on a three-day single-park ticket are as low as $191.76 when purchased through a discount ticket broker like Undercover Tourist (Disney’s rack rate is $210 on this same ticket). Park Hopper options as well as four- and five-day tickets are available as well.
This offer is perfect for many spring break travelers or just anyone who wants to see Disneyland one last time before unprecedented crowds descend upon the parks for the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge this summer. Visitors who go in March and April can also check out the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival, which has expanded significantly the last two years and is now a worthy rival to Epcot’s International Food & Wine Festival.
If you want to take advantage of this spring ticket deal at Disneyland, just be sure to purchase by May 18, 2019.
Disney World 4 Park Magic Deals
Figuring out Walt Disney World and its new variable multiday ticket pricing just about requires a Ph.D. in math these days. As a result, it’s often quite difficult to know when you are really getting a deal.
That said, Disney World currently has a unique four-day ticket deal for select dates this spring and summer that likely offers some savings. Here’s the catch: these 4 Park Magic tickets are only good a single day at each of the four Disney World parks, with no park hopping allowed. The tickets expire seven days after its first use and are good until Sept. 30, 2019. If you have a trip where spending a single day in each of the four parks makes sense for you, crunch the numbers on the 4 Park Magic ticket offers to see what the savings could be.
For example, an adult who wants to visit from May 1–4, 2019 could purchase a four-day base (non-hopper) ticket for $364.82 pretax if purchased from Undercover Tourist. The 4 Park Magic Select ticket is usable on these same days. Its pretax price is $333.22, a savings of $31.60 per adult.
The savings can sometimes be much slimmer, however for the 4 Park Magic Summer tickets. For a visit July 8–11, for example, adult four-day base tickets are $358.54 pretax on Undercover Tourist. The 4 Park Magic Summer adult ticket is $355.68 pretax, a savings of less than $3. For those savings, you lose the flexibility of being able to go to one park more than a single day.
Kids Go Free to Legoland Florida & Legoland California
In celebration of the newest Lego Movie opening, both Legoland Florida and Legoland California (as well as the Legoland Discovery Centers) have an amazing “Kids Go Free” offer for families. With this offer, one child enters free with each paid adult through Dec. 31, 2019.
To take advantage of this deal, guests can either purchase online or at the walk-up ticket booths with coupon code 199902. The offer is good on single park tickets as well as one-day park plus water park combination passes at Legoland Florida. At Legoland California, the offer applies to one-day hopper passes (either Legoland plus Sea Life or Legoland plus water park).
Sea World San Diego Weekday Savings
It’s always easy to save at least 15% on Sea World tickets with a discount from Undercover Tourist. But for guests visiting the park this spring who are free to visit on a weekday, the discounts can be even better. SeaWorld San Diego’s website currently has a weekday single day ticket available for just $55 (discounted from the rack rate of $91.99). This offer is available for advance online purchase only until April 30, 2019, for visits on Monday through Friday.
More Tips for Finding Theme Park Deals
While specific theme park deals come and go, it’s almost always possible to find savings on tickets throughout the year. Here are a few more general tips for finding deals on your next trip:
- Consider a season pass: While the cost of annual passes at Disney and Universal theme parks can be shockingly high, season passes at many local and regional theme parks can be a steal. Often they pay for themselves in just one or two days, which can make sense for parks you might visit near home more than once a year. Season passes also give you the flexibility to visit for just a few hours and not feel the need to get your money’s worth out of a full-day ticket by staying all day. For families with young kids who need to take breaks or naps, these passes can be ideal.
- Check for resident discounts: Theme parks make a number of deals available only to locals or guests who live in-state. If you are visiting a theme park near home, check for deals offered only to you. Disney World’s Florida resident prices are a well-known example, but other more specific deals may pop up. For example, SeaWorld San Diego currently sells a $20 preschool fun card for kids ages 3–5 in San Diego and Orange County. This offer includes unlimited park admission through the end of 2019.
- Always price compare ticket brokers: If you are planning a visit to a theme park, never ever buy at the gates the day of your visit. You’ll pay a serious markup almost 100% of the time. While many theme parks offer online advance purchase discounts on their website, these aren’t always the best deals either. We’ve found that ticket brokers like Undercover Tourist usually beat these online prices. Just be sure the ticket broker you are using is legitimate to avoid scams!
- Pay with a credit card that rewards for entertainment purchases. When you charge theme park tickets, the purchase often codes as entertainment, not travel. Pay with a card that awards a bonus on entertainment such as the 2 points per dollar on the Citi Premier® Card or 4% back on the Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card.
The information for the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Are you heading to a theme park soon? Here are some other articles that might interest you:
- How a Disney World Annual Pass Can Save Your Family Money
- Price Bridging: A Way to Save Money on Disney World Annual Passes
- Is It Worth It? $1.07 Per Minute for Disney’s Early Morning Magic at Magic Kingdom
- The Top 5 Tips for Disney World First-Timers
- Is the Universal Studios Orlando Annual Pass Worth It?
- What’s New in 2019 at Universal Studios from Coast to Coast
- Hagrid Takes Over Hogwarts in New Wizarding World of Harry Potter Ride
Featured photo by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.