This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The largest barrier to maximizing your points and miles is typically the hurdle of finding award availability. There are two solutions to overcoming this problem: paying an award booking service to deal with it for you or putting significant effort into understanding tools and patterns of award availability. For the latter of the two, it’s critical to know which website(s) will provide the best results when you’re searching for these seats, so today, I’ll cover the best award search tools for Star Alliance flights.
If you’re looking for the best websites for either SkyTeam or Oneworld, be sure to check out the other two guides in this series:
- The Best Websites for Searching SkyTeam Award Availability
- The Best Websites for Searching Oneworld Award Availability
Star Alliance Basics
The collection of airlines in Star Alliance is widespread, from well-known US airlines (United) and European carriers (Lufthansa) to highly-regarding Asian airlines (Singapore). In all, the alliance currently has 28 members, the highest number among the three large groups. Understanding how to earn and collect miles across partner airlines can be difficult if you’re new to points and miles, as you need to learn the basics of these relationships and understand the process of booking partner award flights. However, it all starts with finding award seat availability.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees