The Best Websites for Searching Star Alliance Award Availability
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The largest barrier to maximizing your points and miles is typically the hurdle of finding award availability. There are two solutions to overcoming this problem: paying an award booking service to deal with it for you or putting significant effort into understanding tools and patterns of award availability. For the latter of the two, it’s critical to know which website(s) will provide the best results when you’re searching for these seats, so today, I’ll cover the best award search tools for Star Alliance flights.
If you’re looking for the best websites for either SkyTeam or Oneworld, be sure to check out the other two guides in this series:
- The Best Websites for Searching SkyTeam Award Availability
- The Best Websites for Searching Oneworld Award Availability
Star Alliance Basics
The collection of airlines in Star Alliance is widespread, from well-known US airlines (United) and European carriers (Lufthansa) to highly-regarding Asian airlines (Singapore). In all, the alliance currently has 28 members, the highest number among the three large groups. Understanding how to earn and collect miles across partner airlines can be difficult if you’re new to points and miles, as you need to learn the basics of these relationships and understand the process of booking partner award flights. However, it all starts with finding award seat availability.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee