This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the frequent flier world, some awards are so rare that stumbling upon a “unicorn” redemption becomes a must-book. This is one of those instances, as Swiss has released first-class award availability to book through Aeroplan and some of its Star Alliance partners. You can fly in Swiss’ luxurious first-class product between Zurich (ZRH) and many of its US destinations for just 70,000 Aeroplan miles plus minimal taxes and fees one-way. This is an amazing deal, and if you’re looking to take advantage, act very quickly — there’s no telling how long this availability will be around.
A couple of years ago, Swiss stopped releasing first-class award space to its Star Alliance partners, instead opting to offer the space to only its elite flyers. However, as Live and Let’s Fly reports, sometimes award space is released to its partners, allowing non-Swiss elites to book first-class awards with the carrier. Act quick, as Swiss first-class redemptions are now bookable through Aeroplan for 70,000 miles one-way or 140,000 miles round-trip + minimal taxes and fees.
On preliminary searches, we’re seeing availability between Zurich and many of its US destinations — New York (JFK and EWR), Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), Boston (BOS) and Miami (MIA). In addition, we’re seeing plenty of availability on a number of dates. Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Zurich (ZRH) for 70,000 miles + 7.20 CAD one-way in Swiss first:
San Francisco (SFO) to Zurich (ZRH) for 70,000 miles + 7.20 CAD one-way in Swiss first:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Zurich (ZRH) for 70,000 miles + 7.20 CAD one-way in Swiss first:
Zurich (ZRH) to Chicago (ORD) for 70,000 miles + 7.20 CAD one-way in Swiss first:
Boston (BOS) to Zurich (ZRH) for 70,000 miles + 7.20 CAD one-way in Swiss first:
Miami (MIA) to Zurich (ZRH) for 70,000 miles + 7.20 CAD one-way in Swiss first:
This is an amazing opportunity to book an award that’s not usually available. And not only is it available, but there are tons of dates from a number of US cities, and there’s no additional surcharges other than the 7.20 CAD. There are also reports that Swiss first is currently bookable via its Star Alliance partner United for 110,000 miles one-way.
Remember that you can transfer Aeroplan miles from American Express Membership Rewards program. You can transfer Amex MR points to Aeroplan at a 1:1 ratio instantly. Because they transfer so fast, you can easily move over the required miles quickly enough to jump on this award space. Act quick if you’re interested — there’s no telling how long these Swiss first awards will be around.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees