Star Alliance Gets a New Partner for Connecting Flights in China
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 5/23/2017: Juneyao’s status as a connecting partner in the Star Alliance was made official today, giving travelers more flight options from Shanghai.
Star Alliance is expanding — sort of. Shanghai-based Juneyao Airlines will join the alliance as a connecting partner in 2017. This means that Juneyao will be able to partner with Star Alliance carriers without having to become a full member. For passengers, this means more seamless connections into China from Juneayao’s bases at both Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) and Pudong (PVG) airports. Further, connecting partner status means that passengers will be able to utilize check-in counters, lounges and other alliance benefits.
It’d be great to see deeper integration of Juneyao into the alliance in the future — for now it’s unclear whether you’ll be able to redeem United or Aeroplan miles for domestic Chinese flights operated by Juneyao, according to a press release from Star Alliance:
Connecting Partners will enter into bilateral commercial agreements with selected Star Alliance member airlines, which may include Frequent Flyer Programme based privileges.
Star Alliance is the world’s largest airline alliance, with 28 member airlines connecting passengers to destinations in every corner of the globe. Member airlines include Adria Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Canada, Air China, Air India, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Avianca, Brussels Airlines, Copa Airlines, Croatia Airlines, EgyptAir, Ethiopian Airlines, EVA Air, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, SAS (Scandinavian Airlines), Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Swiss, TAP Portugal, Thai Airways International, Turkish Airlines and United Airlines.
Photo courtesy of LAURENT FIEVET/AFP/Getty Images.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees