This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Interested in using your airline miles and points, but not sure how to go about it? Have you already earned tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of them and want to learn the best ways to use them for their maximum value? See posts written by our highly knowledgeable team of points industry veterans, selected specifically to help you learn how to earn airline miles and use them like a pro.
Just want to know…
… What points are worth and if purchasing points is worth it? See our updated Points Valuations
… The best airline & hotel transfer partners? See: 10 Most Valuable Transfer Partners for Flights & Hotels
… The best ways to fly to Asia in business class? See: Top 8 Ways to Fly to Asia in Business
… The best ways to get to Europe in business class? See: Top 10 Ways to Fly to Europe in Business
… The most valuable airline credit cards? See which American, Delta and United card is best.
Alaska Airlines – Mileage Plan
See: all things Alaska
Using Points: want to use your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan points? See this post:
- Great Alaska Award Redemptions (note: some points values may be different than listed)
American Airlines – AAdvantage
Earning Points: Want to earn AAdvantage miles? See this post:
Using Points: Want to use your AAdvantage points? See this post:
British Airways – Avios
See: all things British Airways
Earning Points: Want to earn Avios? See this post:
Using Points: Want to use your British Airways Avios points? See these posts:
- How to Book Award Flights with Avios Points
- Maximizing British Airways Distance-Based Awards
- The Best Use of British Airways Avios Points
Delta Air Lines – SkyMiles
See: all things Delta and SkyMiles
Have a Delta Companion Certificate and want to use it? See this post:
Earning Points: Want to earn Delta SkyMiles? See this post:
Using Points: Want to use your Delta SkyMiles? See these posts:
- Earning and Maximizing SkyMiles
- Five Tricks for Booking with and Using Delta SkyMiles
- How Delta Award Routing Works
- Tips for Earning/Burning and Flying with Delta
JetBlue Airways – TrueBlue
See: all things JetBlue
Earning Points: Want to earn TrueBlue points? See this post:
Using Points: Want to use your TrueBlue points? See this post:
Southwest Airlines – Rapid Rewards
See: all things Southwest
Earning Points: Frequent Southwest flyer? Want to earn a Companion Pass? See this post:
Using Points: Want to use your Rapid Rewards? See this post:
United Airlines – MileagePlus
See: all things United
Frequent United flyer? Want to earn United points? See this post:
Using Points: Want to use your United Miles? See these posts:
- Earning and Maximizing United Miles
- Tips for Earning and Burning on United
- 5 Things You Need to Know About Booking with MileagePlus
Virgin America – Elevate
See: All things Virgin America
Virgin America will be merging with Alaska Airlines, and Alaska’s Mileage Plan will take over. Here’s what you need to know:
- Questions and Answers About Alaska Airlines’ Acquisition of Virgin America
- Should I Transfer Virgin America Points to Alaska Now?
- Virgin America Announces End Dates for Its Partnerships
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Check out our guides or travel resources page. Still nothing? Shoot us an email and we’ll do our best to get back to you: email@example.com. If you’d like to see something added to this FAQ, send us a Facebook message with what you think we’re missing. If your request is popular with other readers we’ll add it!
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards