Virgin America Announces End Dates for Its Partnerships
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since the close of the Alaska Airlines-Virgin America merger last year, details about what the future will look like have slowly rolled out. But, we do know that Alaska will discontinue the Virgin America brand as of the beginning of 2018, and the two will become one entity. Now, we have details from Virgin about what it plans to do with its partners.
Today, Virgin America published a page on its site explaining when Elevate members can last earn points with partners, last redeem points with partners and the last day to travel on an award with its partners. Most notably, you’ll no longer be able to earn or redeem points with its airline partners — Emirates, Hawaiian, Singapore and Virgin Australia — as of September 30, 2017. The last day to travel on an award with each of those partners comes at the beginning of next year, January 15, 2018.
It’s worth noting that Emirates is also a partner of Alaska’s Mileage Plan program, so Elevate members will still be able to redeem their points for travel on the Dubai-based airline when the two frequent flyer programs become one. However, the same can’t be said for Hawaiian, Singapore and Virgin Australia, all of which aren’t partners with Alaska.
Virgin America also announced that it’s no longer going to be a transfer partner of Amex Membership Rewards after October 31, 2017. Currently, Virgin America is a 2:1 transfer partner of Amex MR points, which isn’t the best of ratios. However, Alaska isn’t a transfer partner of Membership Rewards points so that option will be closing altogether.
All of its hotel partnerships will be ending following September 30, 2017. However, Airbnb will be ending in just a couple of weeks — you only have through June 30, 2017 to earn Elevate points with Airbnb.
Keep in mind these partnerships and their end dates going forward if you have a stash of Elevate points and want to make a redemption before it’s no longer available. As a reminder, you can transfer your Virgin America Elevate points to Alaska Mileage Plan miles with a 30% bonus.
Featured image courtesy of Justin Sullivan via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.