Virgin America Announces End Dates for Its Partnerships
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since the close of the Alaska Airlines-Virgin America merger last year, details about what the future will look like have slowly rolled out. But, we do know that Alaska will discontinue the Virgin America brand as of the beginning of 2018, and the two will become one entity. Now, we have details from Virgin about what it plans to do with its partners.
Today, Virgin America published a page on its site explaining when Elevate members can last earn points with partners, last redeem points with partners and the last day to travel on an award with its partners. Most notably, you’ll no longer be able to earn or redeem points with its airline partners — Emirates, Hawaiian, Singapore and Virgin Australia — as of September 30, 2017. The last day to travel on an award with each of those partners comes at the beginning of next year, January 15, 2018.
It’s worth noting that Emirates is also a partner of Alaska’s Mileage Plan program, so Elevate members will still be able to redeem their points for travel on the Dubai-based airline when the two frequent flyer programs become one. However, the same can’t be said for Hawaiian, Singapore and Virgin Australia, all of which aren’t partners with Alaska.
Virgin America also announced that it’s no longer going to be a transfer partner of Amex Membership Rewards after October 31, 2017. Currently, Virgin America is a 2:1 transfer partner of Amex MR points, which isn’t the best of ratios. However, Alaska isn’t a transfer partner of Membership Rewards points so that option will be closing altogether.
All of its hotel partnerships will be ending following September 30, 2017. However, Airbnb will be ending in just a couple of weeks — you only have through June 30, 2017 to earn Elevate points with Airbnb.
Keep in mind these partnerships and their end dates going forward if you have a stash of Elevate points and want to make a redemption before it’s no longer available. As a reminder, you can transfer your Virgin America Elevate points to Alaska Mileage Plan miles with a 30% bonus.
Featured image courtesy of Justin Sullivan via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees