Virgin Voyages Is Committing to Music Theme With Vinyl Record Store and Karaoke Lounge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It looks like Virgin Voyages is going all-in with the music theming on its first ship.
The start-up line backed by Richard Branson’s Virgin Group announced on Wednesday that its 2,770-passenger debut vessel, Scarlet Lady, will have its very own vinyl record store — an homage to Virgin Group’s early days as a record-selling business.
To be called Voyage Vinyl, the record shop on Scarlet Lady will feature listening stations where “sailors” (what the line calls its passengers) can sample music before buying. It’ll sell a mix of current and classic albums, plus limited-edition collections created by the line’s resident DJs. Music magazines and headphones will also be for sale alongside record players (for those of you who go on cruises to buy record players).
Virgin Voyages also revealed plans for a karaoke lounge on the ship with private, sound-proofed rooms where passengers can belt out their best Ariana Grande or Post Malone. It also said it was developing a “sonic identity” for the vessel’s public areas that goes way beyond the typical shipboard background music.
The karaoke lounge planned for Scarlet Lady will be called The Groupie and feature a very-pink-and-purple-infused color scheme and modernist design created by Roman Coppola. It’s being billed as a place for gaming and movie-watching, too, should you tire of belting out power ballads.
The latest reveals come on top of previously announced plans for music-themed “RockStar Suites” on Scarlet Lady that will come with gold-plated vinyl record players and classic records.
And the top DJs recruited by Virgin Voyages won’t just curate mixes for the record shop. They’ll also perform for the line’s passengers. Grammy Award-winning DJ, songwriter and record producer Mark Ronson, for example, has signed on for four performances in 2020 during stopovers the ship will make at the Bahamian island of Bimini.
On Wednesday, Virgin Voyages added chart-topping artist, DJ, producer and remixer, MK (Marc Kinchen), and Grammy-nominated electronic music duo Sofi Tukker to the list of “resident DJ” performers making appearances during Scarlet Lady’s first year at sea.
Voyage Vinyl will also double as a performance spot for the ship’s resident DJs.
And Virgin Voyages said the so-called sonic identity it’s planning for the ship will have electronic music at its core, but also incorporate other genres. The line has signed WhiteLabel Creative, a group of music industry insiders, to develop signature sounds for spaces that blend electronically-programmed music dating as far back as the disco era with more traditional “EDM” sounds.
Under development for more than five years, Virgin Voyages is promising to shake things up in the cruise world with ships that offer a hipper, more-inclusive and distinctly younger vibe than what’s available from existing lines (though not too young; Virgin’s ships promise to be adults-only).
The not-your-father’s-cruise-ship sensibility will include such previously announced features as the first tattoo parlor at sea and drag-queen brunches. There also will be plenty of nontraditional entertainment including the previously mentioned DJ sets, interactive dance parties, “micro-plays” and games of dodgeball that don’t start until after midnight.
The Broadway-style shows that are a mainstay of many cruise brands have been banned.
Currently under construction at a shipyard in Italy, Scarlet Lady is just the first of four vessels that Virgin Voyages has on order. After debuting on April 1, 2020, it’ll sail four- and five-night trips out of Miami to the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico and Dominican Republic. Fares will start at $750 per person for a four-night voyage, not including taxes and fees.
Feature image courtesy of Virgin Voyages.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees