Virgin Voyages Will Feature the First-Ever Cruise Ship Tattoo Studio
This new cruise amenity might be going a little, um, overboard.
When Virgin Voyages launches its debut ship, the Scarlet Lady, in 2020, she’s going to be equipped with the industry’s first seaworthy tattoo parlor.
In a statement, Tom McAlpin — Virgin Voyage’s president and CEO — said the tattoo shop, called Squid Ink, is a nod to the “time-honored seafaring tradition” of tattooing.
At Squid Ink, sailors can receive a tattoo (made with World Famous Tattoo vegan ink) or a piercing from one of two resident artists selected by tat master Lou Rubino Jr. A rotating roster of legendary guest artists including Sarah Miller and Arlo DiCristina will also be on deck to deliver fresh ink.
“Our sailors are looking to make lifelong memories,” McAlpin said, “and we think there’s no better way to commemorate their first voyage with us than with a souvenir they’ll never lose track of.”
Edgy tattoos are just one way Virgin Voyages is trying to reinvent the cruise industry. All of the line’s ships are exclusively for 18-and-up travelers, and the designers tapped have never before worked on cruise vessels. Instead, they’re industry titans responsible for luxury hotels, nightclubs, restaurants and even film sets. Another shift from industry standards? Virgin Voyages crew members are permitted, if not encouraged, to flaunt their own tattoos.
Until Nov. 16, travelers can enter for the chance to win a free cruise for two (plus complimentary maritime micro-tattoos at Squid Ink) on the Virgin Voyages website. Fortunately, you’ll have a couple years to decide whether you’d prefer a nautical star, a swallow or a figure-eight knot.
Featured photo by Steve Mrdja/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.