Virgin Voyages Will Feature the First-Ever Cruise Ship Tattoo Studio
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This new cruise amenity might be going a little, um, overboard.
When Virgin Voyages launches its debut ship, the Scarlet Lady, in 2020, she’s going to be equipped with the industry’s first seaworthy tattoo parlor.
In a statement, Tom McAlpin — Virgin Voyage’s president and CEO — said the tattoo shop, called Squid Ink, is a nod to the “time-honored seafaring tradition” of tattooing.
At Squid Ink, sailors can receive a tattoo (made with World Famous Tattoo vegan ink) or a piercing from one of two resident artists selected by tat master Lou Rubino Jr. A rotating roster of legendary guest artists including Sarah Miller and Arlo DiCristina will also be on deck to deliver fresh ink.
“Our sailors are looking to make lifelong memories,” McAlpin said, “and we think there’s no better way to commemorate their first voyage with us than with a souvenir they’ll never lose track of.”
Edgy tattoos are just one way Virgin Voyages is trying to reinvent the cruise industry. All of the line’s ships are exclusively for 18-and-up travelers, and the designers tapped have never before worked on cruise vessels. Instead, they’re industry titans responsible for luxury hotels, nightclubs, restaurants and even film sets. Another shift from industry standards? Virgin Voyages crew members are permitted, if not encouraged, to flaunt their own tattoos.
Until Nov. 16, travelers can enter for the chance to win a free cruise for two (plus complimentary maritime micro-tattoos at Squid Ink) on the Virgin Voyages website. Fortunately, you’ll have a couple years to decide whether you’d prefer a nautical star, a swallow or a figure-eight knot.
Featured photo by Steve Mrdja/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees