This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This new cruise amenity might be going a little, um, overboard.
When Virgin Voyages launches its debut ship, the Scarlet Lady, in 2020, she’s going to be equipped with the industry’s first seaworthy tattoo parlor.
In a statement, Tom McAlpin — Virgin Voyage’s president and CEO — said the tattoo shop, called Squid Ink, is a nod to the “time-honored seafaring tradition” of tattooing.
At Squid Ink, sailors can receive a tattoo (made with World Famous Tattoo vegan ink) or a piercing from one of two resident artists selected by tat master Lou Rubino Jr. A rotating roster of legendary guest artists including Sarah Miller and Arlo DiCristina will also be on deck to deliver fresh ink.
“Our sailors are looking to make lifelong memories,” McAlpin said, “and we think there’s no better way to commemorate their first voyage with us than with a souvenir they’ll never lose track of.”
Edgy tattoos are just one way Virgin Voyages is trying to reinvent the cruise industry. All of the line’s ships are exclusively for 18-and-up travelers, and the designers tapped have never before worked on cruise vessels. Instead, they’re industry titans responsible for luxury hotels, nightclubs, restaurants and even film sets. Another shift from industry standards? Virgin Voyages crew members are permitted, if not encouraged, to flaunt their own tattoos.
Until Nov. 16, travelers can enter for the chance to win a free cruise for two (plus complimentary maritime micro-tattoos at Squid Ink) on the Virgin Voyages website. Fortunately, you’ll have a couple years to decide whether you’d prefer a nautical star, a swallow or a figure-eight knot.
Featured photo by Steve Mrdja/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees