This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Voyages, the cruise line brain child of Richard Branson, recently unveiled some new, much anticipated details of its first ship’s design, in what the company is calling a “ship tease.”
Virgin brand of cruise-liners aims “to get people who’d never dream of going on a cruise ship,” Branson says. That mission starts with the fact that the Virgin Voyages cruises will be for adult “sailors” only — passengers must be 18 years or older — and is carried through the ship’s modern design.
New renderings of the cruise line’s first ship, which is expected to be delivered to Port Miami in 2020, show trendy decor from a litany of popular architects and interior designs behind travel hotspots like New York’s Standard Highline hotel, citizenM hotels and Amsterdam’s hotel Zoku.
The ship’s Athletic Club lounge will sport the world’s largest day bed at sea and a a 220-square-foot tripled net where passengers can look out into the sea — similar to a catamaran.
The “outdoor lifestyle space,” called The Dock, is ambitiously supposed to simultaneously evoke the “chicest seaside lounges in the Hamptons, Ibiza, Bali and beyond.”
The ship’s exclusive outdoor lounge for suite guests — Richard’s Rooftop — has a futuristic vibe.
Renderings also show a glimpse into one of the ship’s cabins.
Details on the new ship’s dining options have also been released. Pink Agave will be the upscale Mexican option on board with an emphasis on modern decor elements from Design Research Studio.
The other restaurant revealed, dubbed The Test Kitchen, is designed to have a laboratory aesthetic — complete with beakers and test tubes.
This ship will be Virgin Voyages’ first of three it has ordered so far. It’s set to take its inaugural sail to the Caribbean sometime in 2020 and is expected to carry 2,700 passengers and 1,150 crew.
No details on the cruise’s prices have been released yet.
You can watch Virgin’s entire presentation unveiling all of the ship’s renderings in the Facebook video below.
All images by Virgin Voyages.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards