United Airlines adds 2 more routes at growing Washington Dulles hub
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Star Alliance carrier will begin service between Dulles (IAD) and Bangor (BGR) on June 4, and Madison (MSN) on May 8, United said Friday. Both routes will operate twice daily, with Bangor flown on Embraer ERJ-145s and Madison on either Bombardier CRJ700s or ERJ-145s.
Tickets for the flights go on sale Saturday, Dec. 14.
The Bangor and Madison routes are the latest additions by United at its growing Washington-area hub. To date, the airline has unveiled plans for five new routes from Dulles in 2020, including West Palm Beach (PBI) starting in February, and Akron/Canton (CAK) and Philadelphia (PHL) starting in May.
For the year ending in June, United will operate 5.6% more seats at Dulles than during the same period the year before, according to Cirium schedules. The increase comes even as it discontinues service to Chattanooga, Tennessee, (CHA) this month, and Elmira, New York, (ELM) in January.
“Dulles remains the largest global gateway for local travelers, and we will look forward to continuing to expand United’s superior network from Washington region,” Ankit Gupta, vice president of domestic network planning at United, said in a statement.
United is on a tear at Dulles. The carrier began shifting connecting flights to the airport from its Newark Liberty (EWR) hub as part of a larger effort to boost its domestic share in 2018. The growth has seen costs fall at Dulles, enabling further expansion and a willingness to invest in the hub, with a Polaris Lounge due to open next year.
The carrier is even considering more than significantly growing the number of flights it operates at Dulles by adding more “banks” — or specific time periods when a number of flights are coordinated to arrive and depart together — throughout the day.
United is growing across its map. The airline plans to expand system capacity by 4-6% year-over-year in 2020, with the majority focused in the U.S. The only potential foil, at this point, is when the Boeing 737 MAX will resume flying.
United will face no direct competition between either Bangor or Madison and Dulles, according to Cirium. However, nearby Ronald Reagan Washington National (DCA) airport has nonstops to Bangor on American Airlines, and Madison on Delta Air Lines.
Featured image by Edward Russell/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees