United Begins Construction on Final US Polaris Lounge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Better late than never, but United’s Washington Dulles (IAD) Polaris Lounge is very late indeed. It was originally expected to open in 2017, and we’ve finally received word that construction has been underway for a few weeks, with a targeted opening date of 2020, United said.
Once the Dulles lounge opens up next year, United’s US Polaris Lounge network will be complete, with the five other locations already open, including:
United will offer three Polaris Lounges overseas as well, including locations in Hong Kong (HKG), London (LHR) and Tokyo (NRT), but construction has not yet begun.
Flyers will likely find the standard suite of Polaris Lounge amenities, including a-la-carte and buffet dining, showers, relaxation areas and more.
Note that Polaris Lounge access is restricted to passengers traveling in the following cabins:
- United Polaris business class
- Star Alliance long-haul first class
- Star Alliance long-haul business class
You’ll need to be ticketed for long-haul intercontinental travel — if you’re flying between the US and Canada, Mexico, Central America or the Caribbean, you won’t be able to get in. Passengers arriving in Polaris and connecting to another United flight will have access as well, while those flying into IAD on another Star Alliance carrier do not.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.