United Airlines drops three Newark and Washington routes this winter
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines will end three routes to Canada, Ohio and Tennessee this winter, even as it plans to continue its accelerated growth strategy through next year.
The Star Alliance carrier will discontinue service between Chattanooga (CHA) in Tennessee and Washington Dulles (IAD) on Dec. 3; Dayton (DAY) in Ohio and Newark Liberty (EWR) on Jan. 4; and Ottawa (YOW) and Newark on March 4, according to Diio by Cirium schedule data.
United spokesman Jonathan Guerin cited “low customer demand” for the decision to end the three routes. The airline will continue to serve Chattanooga, Dayton and Ottawa from other hubs in its network, he added.
The carrier began the Chattanooga-Dulles route last October as part of a larger shift in connecting markets to its Washington DC-area hub from Newark. It has served both the Dayton and Ottawa routes from Newark since its merger with Continental Airlines in 2010.
Travelers will continue to have flight options in all three markets. American Airlines flies between Chattanooga and Ronald Reagan Washington National (DCA); United codeshare partner Air Canada between Ottawa and Newark, and Delta Air Lines between Ottawa and nearby New York LaGuardia (LGA); and American between Dayton and LaGuardia, Diio data shows.
United’s network cull comes as it maintains plans to grow capacity by an elevated 4-6% year-over-year in 2020. Some of that growth will come from international additions, including new flights to Cape Town (CPT), Nice (NCE) and Tokyo Haneda (HND), but also new domestic routes and frequencies, like new service to Riverton (RIW) and Sheridan (SHR) in Wyoming. The airline is focused on boosting connecting traffic over its mid-continent hubs at Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Denver (DEN) and Houston.
However, the regional reductions disclosed in United’s latest schedule update reflect an increasing willingness to drop markets that are not working — Chattanooga-Dulles — and drop long-term markets that do not pass muster — both Newark routes.
The carrier does not expect the on-going Boeing 737 MAX grounding to impact its 2020 growth plans. United currently has the MAX in schedules beginning Dec. 19.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees