United Airlines Continues Denver Expansion With New Heartland Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines continues to expand its hub in Denver with new service to Riverton and Sheridan in Wyoming from January.
The Star Alliance carrier will offer 17 weekly flights to Riverton (RIW) and Sheridan (SHR) in a circle pattern from Denver (DEN) beginning Jan. 12, according to Diio by Cirium schedule data. United regional partner SkyWest Airlines will operate the flights with Bombardier CRJ200 aircraft.
In addition, United will move flights between Denver and Williston, North Dakota, to the new Williston Basin International Airport (XWA) on Oct. 10. United’s existing schedule of four daily round-trip flights currently operates to Williston’s Sloulin Field (ISN).
Williston Basin will address operational issues at Sloulin Field when it opens. The latter has fallen behind current FAA design standards standards for the larger regional jets Delta Air Lines and United operate to Williston, and for the larger business jets that frequent the airport, according to the Williston Basin project website.
Williston is the primary airport serving the Bakken Formation, which is a major driver of North Dakota’s oil and gas boom in recent years.
Delta will also move to the new Williston airport on Oct. 10, airline spokeswoman Susannah Thurston tells TPG. Flights to the airport will go on sale this weekend.
Riverton and Sheridan are the latest in a long line of subsidized destinations United has added from Denver since 2017. The cities are part of the US Department of Transportation’s Essential Air Service program.
Since 2017, United has added subsidized service to nearly a dozen destinations from Denver. Cities include Flagstaff in Arizona, Moab in Utah, and Pueblo in Colorado.
United is growing its Denver hub to boost higher-revenue connecting traffic. The airline is on-track to operate an average of 450 daily departures from the airport this year, compared to an average of 409 daily departures in 2018, Diio data shows.
Based on daily departures, Denver is United’s third largest hub after Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Houston Intercontinental (IAH).
United plans to grow system capacity by 3-4% year-over-year in 2019, and by 4-6% in 2020.
Featured image by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees