United Airlines Suspends First Route as 737 MAX Cancellations Mount
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines will suspend service to Leon/Guanajuato in Mexico from Chicago in September, saying it is halting the service because of the ongoing Boeing 737 MAX grounding.
The Star Alliance carrier will end its daily Leon/Guanajuato (BJX) flight from Chicago O’Hare (ORD) on Sept. 2, United confirms and Diio by Cirium schedules show. The airline has operated the route with an Embraer 175 since October 2018.
United spokesman Jonathan Guerin says the move was made to “help mitigate issues resulting from the grounding of the MAX aircraft and better optimize our resources to address customer needs in markets served from Chicago.” He does not say when the route will resume.
The airline will likely redeploy the E175 used for the Leon-Chicago route in markets directly impacted by the MAX grounding.
The grounding has taken less of a toll on United than fellow US operators American Airlines and Southwest Airlines. American has suspended one of its routes to Oakland (OAK) in California and delayed the retirement of some Boeing 757 aircraft. The Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier operated 24 737 MAX 8 when the grounding occurred.
Southwest is ending service to Newark Liberty (EWR) and is retaining some 737-700s due for retirement this year to mitigate the impact of the grounding. The Dallas-based airline had 34 737-8s in its fleet in March.
While American, like United, has removed the MAX from schedules through November, Southwest has taken the aircraft out until Jan. 5. Executives say that the airline needs one to two months to return the aircraft to service once the grounding is lifted.
United has been forced to cut its capacity growth plans for 2019 due to the impact of the Boeing 737 MAX grounding. It now expects capacity to grow 3-4% year-over-year, up to two-points lower than its initial forecast of up 4-6% year-over-year.
The carrier will continue to serve Leon/Guanajuato from Houston Intercontinental (IAH), Guerin says.
United’s capacity to Mexico is scheduled to shrink 4.3% year-over-year in 2019, Diio data shows.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees