The TWA Hotel’s Stunning Rooftop Pool Will Be a Planespotter’s Paradise
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The only thing better than a truly great airport hotel? One with a rooftop pool offering uninterrupted tarmac views.
The TWA Hotel at New York-JFK, which will welcome its first guests in May, just released renderings of its roof deck pool — and it’s absolutely stunning.
A rooftop infinity pool and observation deck designed for diehard planespotters, travelers can post up on a pool chair to watch the traffic on JFK’s runway 4L/22R. After it debuts on May 15 along with the rest of the hotel, the rooftop facilities will remain open 365 days a year. (Don’t fret: The heated pool can be warmed to a balmy 100-degrees for guests who want to enjoy the space even on the coldest winter day.)
“Our rooftop pool provides a JFK-runway view that rivals an air traffic controller’s vantage point,” Tyler Morse, CEO and managing partner of MCR and MORSE Development, said in a statement. “There’s simply no better place for planespotting — and enjoying a cocktail — in the world.”
In addition to the pool, the 10,000-square-foot observation deck will feature a full bar with special cocktails like the Mile High Spritz (vodka, St. Germain elderflower liqueur, fresh lime juice and prosecco) and the Watermelon Collins (Aviation gin, watermelon and lemon juices, agave and club soda). Guests will also have access to a food menu served from a full kitchen.
While sprawled out on a lounge chair sipping a cocktail, you can expect to see all types of aircraft, from a JetBlue A320 or Delta 737 to heavies such as a Lufthansa or Etihad A380.
Fortunately, you don’t have to check in as a guest to check out the rooftop deck, although you will have to make a reservation in advance to book a spot.
The rooftop pool and observation deck are just the cherry-on-top of this monument to the Golden Age of air travel. The TWA Hotel’s lobby will be located inside the iconic TWA Flight Center built by Eero Saarinen in 1962. The Flight Center has undergone extensive renovations, including the rebirth of the terminal’s original Paris Café, this time run by world famous chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten.
The hotel will have six restaurants and eight bars including one inside a restored TWA Lockheed Constellation.
“You’re going to feel like you’ve walked back into 1962,” Morse told TPG for previous story. “It’s going to be a full theatrical experience down to the uniforms, gift bags and the food that we serve.”
The 512 guest rooms will be decked out in TWA swag, too — some even will have views of the runway.
The hotel is now accepting reservations, but unfortunately, it’s not part of a larger chain so you won’t be able to redeem hotel points for nights at the property. You’re better off paying with a card like the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card and redeeming miles against the purchase if you want a “free” or discounted stay.
Featured image courtesy of the TWA Hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.