The TWA Hotel’s Stunning Rooftop Pool Will Be a Planespotter’s Paradise
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The only thing better than a truly great airport hotel? One with a rooftop pool offering uninterrupted tarmac views.
The TWA Hotel at New York-JFK, which will welcome its first guests in May, just released renderings of its roof deck pool — and it’s absolutely stunning.
A rooftop infinity pool and observation deck designed for diehard planespotters, travelers can post up on a pool chair to watch the traffic on JFK’s runway 4L/22R. After it debuts on May 15 along with the rest of the hotel, the rooftop facilities will remain open 365 days a year. (Don’t fret: The heated pool can be warmed to a balmy 100-degrees for guests who want to enjoy the space even on the coldest winter day.)
“Our rooftop pool provides a JFK-runway view that rivals an air traffic controller’s vantage point,” Tyler Morse, CEO and managing partner of MCR and MORSE Development, said in a statement. “There’s simply no better place for planespotting — and enjoying a cocktail — in the world.”
In addition to the pool, the 10,000-square-foot observation deck will feature a full bar with special cocktails like the Mile High Spritz (vodka, St. Germain elderflower liqueur, fresh lime juice and prosecco) and the Watermelon Collins (Aviation gin, watermelon and lemon juices, agave and club soda). Guests will also have access to a food menu served from a full kitchen.
While sprawled out on a lounge chair sipping a cocktail, you can expect to see all types of aircraft, from a JetBlue A320 or Delta 737 to heavies such as a Lufthansa or Etihad A380.
Fortunately, you don’t have to check in as a guest to check out the rooftop deck, although you will have to make a reservation in advance to book a spot.
The rooftop pool and observation deck are just the cherry-on-top of this monument to the Golden Age of air travel. The TWA Hotel’s lobby will be located inside the iconic TWA Flight Center built by Eero Saarinen in 1962. The Flight Center has undergone extensive renovations, including the rebirth of the terminal’s original Paris Café, this time run by world famous chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten.
The hotel will have six restaurants and eight bars including one inside a restored TWA Lockheed Constellation.
“You’re going to feel like you’ve walked back into 1962,” Morse told TPG for previous story. “It’s going to be a full theatrical experience down to the uniforms, gift bags and the food that we serve.”
The 512 guest rooms will be decked out in TWA swag, too — some even will have views of the runway.
The hotel is now accepting reservations, but unfortunately, it’s not part of a larger chain so you won’t be able to redeem hotel points for nights at the property. You’re better off paying with a card like the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card and redeeming miles against the purchase if you want a “free” or discounted stay.
Featured image courtesy of the TWA Hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees