One of America’s Best Chefs Will Helm the TWA Hotel Restaurant at JFK
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A highly anticipated hotel is getting a world class chef to head up its flagship restaurant. The TWA Hotel, any AvGeek’s dream, has announced that Jean-Georges Vongerichten will be running its Paris Café restaurant when the hotel opens this Spring.
Vongerichten is a world-renowned chef who owns dozens of restaurants across the world including ABC Kitchen, Perry St. and Jean-Georges in New York City.
The Paris Café will be located inside the TWA Terminal that’s currently being renovated. This 200-seat restaurant will be separate from the cocktail bar that will sit inside a renovated Lockheed Starliner that we got a sneak peak at a few weeks ago.
In fact, the new restaurant will sit exactly where the old Paris café used to operate inside of the TWA Terminal. It’s also taking over the area where Lisbon lounge was located. Servers will wear outfits inspired by what TWA crew wore at the height of the ‘Golden Age of Travel‘ in 1962, harkening back to a more glamorous age of travel when airlines competed on service, not price, since the government was still regulating the industry.
Situated between JFK’s Terminal 5 and the classic Eero Saarinen-designed TWA Terminal, the TWA Hotel will feature 512 rooms, six restaurants and eight bars. The hotel will take over the TWA Terminal after developers lead a years-long charge renovating the incredibly unique space. And because the hotel is located pre-security, anybody is free to visit and chow down at one of its eateries.
“Around the world, Jean-Georges is known for his delicious dishes and impeccable service,” said Tyler Morse, CEO and Managing Partner of MCR and MORSE Development in a statement. “He is the perfect chef to reinvigorate the legendary Paris Café for our guests and JFK travelers.”
Serving “breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and cocktails at a medium price point” Vongerichten and the TWA Hotel have been researching classic TWA in-flight menus for inspiration.
“I’d want to do some classics, but also new stuff, lighter fare,” Vongerichten told the New York Times.
Born and raised just outside of Strasbourg, France and currently residing in New York, the Michelin Star chef has opened more than 36 restaurants during his career. He’ll partner with Tastes on the Fly to develop the Paris Café, which runs 20 airport restaurants around the country.
TPG’s Zach Honig and The Points Guy himself Brian Kelly recently ate at Jean-George’s Lagoon restaurant at the St. Regis Bora Bora, calling the cuisine their favorite at the resort.
“It’s an exciting project; food in airports has been improving a lot,” said Vongerichten, adding that he himself is an avid traveler.
Featured image courtesy of the TWA Hotel / MCR Development.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees