Easy Star Alliance Gold with TAP Portugal’s new status match
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TAP Air Portugal has been making a big push in the United States, adding flights to new destinations around the country — with more on the way — and upgrading aircraft throughout North America, with new additions including the Airbus A330neo and A321LR.
Now, the carrier hopes to expand its Miles & Go loyalty program beyond the 280,000 U.S. members enrolled today, with growth to the elite ranks as well. And the easiest way to accomplish that? Offer access to a higher tier right off the bat, in the form of a status match.
For the month of March, TAP is offering new members 1,000 bonus miles when enrolling using promo code BIRTHDAY01, plus the ability to qualify for a Silver or Gold status match.
A wide variety of frequent flyer programs qualify, as long as the carrier is not a Star Alliance member. Within the U.S., Oneworld Sapphire members (American AAdvantage Platinum and above) and SkyTeam Elite Plus (Delta Gold and above) will qualify for TAP Gold status, as will JetBlue Mosaic and mid-tier levels from programs around the world.
Two steps are required to enroll for the match. New members can begin the process by enrolling in the Miles & Go program now, by entering BIRTHDAY01 in the promotional code field and uploading a picture of their current elite status card. Meanwhile, members who enrolled for a new account in 2020 are eligible as well — TAP plans to add a landing page to assist with account upgrades.
There is a big catch, though. In addition to providing proof of current status with another non-Star Alliance program, you’ll need to complete one of two revenue transactions, by March 31, 2020. First, you can purchase a subscription to TAP’s Miles & Go Club, which earns you redeemable miles and other perks on an annual and monthly basis, as outlined below.
Alternatively, you can qualify by purchasing miles, including as part of TAP’s current sale. Also during March, the airline is offering up to 5x miles when you purchase a package, broken down as:
While that may sound like the deal of the century on the surface, note that TAP’s redemption rates are higher than those you can expect to find on many other carriers — a one-way business-class flight to Europe on a Star Alliance carrier like Swiss, Lufthansa or United requires 100,000 miles, for example. Aeroplan, meanwhile, charges as few as 55,000 miles for the same flights, but you may be responsible for high surcharges, which don’t apply with TAP bookings. Additionally, TAP miles expire one year after purchase, regardless of activity, unless you’re a current Gold member, or have a current Club Top or Club Platinum subscription account.
Once approved, your status will be valid until Sept. 30, 2020, though you can extend it through 2021 by earning 25,000 status miles for Gold status, or 10,000 miles for Silver. Normally, you need 70,000 status miles to qualify for Gold, or 50,000 miles to keep it. Silver, meanwhile, requires 30,000 status miles the first time, or 20,000 miles to renew.
If you don’t want to jump through those extra hoops, there’s an alternative, specifically for current American AAdvantage and Delta SkyMiles elites. Depending on your tier, you may be able to qualify for United MileagePlus status — up to Premier Platinum, if you’re an AA Platinum Pro or Delta Platinum and above.
You’ll be granted temporary status right away, and will have 90 days to qualify for an elite tier through the rest of 2020 — that’s a year less than you’ll earn with TAP, though, since customers who qualify based on flying requirements will keep their earned tier through 2021.
TAP’s program offers one other major advantage, too: Miles & Go members who earn Gold status will have full Star Alliance Gold benefits, including access to United Clubs when traveling on a domestic United itinerary — a perk not available to United’s own elite members.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees