TAP Air Portugal Expands Its US Presence
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TAP Air Portugal has announced it’s once again expanding its presence in the United States with a new route between Lisbon (LIS) and Washington Dulles (IAD) and one from LIS to Chicago (ORD). This new service is TAP’s latest expansion into the US market. TAP already services New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Newark (EWR) and Miami (MIA). TAP has been looking to expand its operations since JetBlue founder David Neeleman took an ownership stake in the airline back in 2015.
Neeleman started with updating the brand, cabins and seats and adding new routes for customers. More than 70 new planes are on the way. It is clear that Neeleman plans to continue to expand TAP’s US offerings in the future. Neeleman has been quoted that he believes TAP could support as many as 10 gateways in the US moving forward.
Just a few days ago, TAP was the launch customer for the Airbus A330-900, and this plane will operate both new routes. The aircraft will have three cabins: Economy, EconomyXtra and Executive business class.
TAP will start five roundtrip flights per week between Chicago and Lisbon beginning June 1, 2019. The flights will operate Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays on the following schedule:
- Chicago (ORD) 6:05pm Departure ==> Lisbon (LIS) 7:50am (+1) Arrival
- Lisbon (LIS) 1:05pm Departure ==> Chicago (ORD) 4:05pm Arrival
The carrier will then add five weekly roundtrip flights from Lisbon to Washington-Dulles beginning June 16. Those flights will operate Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays on the following schedule:
- Washington, DC (IAD) 10:40pm Departure ==> Lisbon (LIS) 10:50am (+1) Arrival
- Lisbon (LIS) 4:30pm Departure ==> Washington, DC (IAD) 7:40pm Arrival
Fares on the new routes start at $569 roundtrip in economy from IAD and $595 roundtrip in economy from ORD. Fares for TAP’s business class, which features 34 lie-flat seats, start at $2,951 roundtrip on both routes.
It’s clear though that TAP is expanding its presence in the US and is looking to steadily add new destinations as they move forward.
For more on TAP’s first A330neo, see:
- Flying Business Class on the World’s First Airbus A330neo
- Step Inside the First Airbus A330neo
- Take a Tour of Airbus’ Brand New A330neo Airspace Cabin
*This post has been updated with new information on the Chicago route, aircraft and airfare prices.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.