TAP Air Portugal Expands Its US Presence
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TAP Air Portugal has announced it’s once again expanding its presence in the United States with a new route between Lisbon (LIS) and Washington Dulles (IAD) and one from LIS to Chicago (ORD). This new service is TAP’s latest expansion into the US market. TAP already services New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Newark (EWR) and Miami (MIA). TAP has been looking to expand its operations since JetBlue founder David Neeleman took an ownership stake in the airline back in 2015.
Neeleman started with updating the brand, cabins and seats and adding new routes for customers. More than 70 new planes are on the way. It is clear that Neeleman plans to continue to expand TAP’s US offerings in the future. Neeleman has been quoted that he believes TAP could support as many as 10 gateways in the US moving forward.
Just a few days ago, TAP was the launch customer for the Airbus A330-900, and this plane will operate both new routes. The aircraft will have three cabins: Economy, EconomyXtra and Executive business class.
TAP will start five roundtrip flights per week between Chicago and Lisbon beginning June 1, 2019. The flights will operate Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays on the following schedule:
- Chicago (ORD) 6:05pm Departure ==> Lisbon (LIS) 7:50am (+1) Arrival
- Lisbon (LIS) 1:05pm Departure ==> Chicago (ORD) 4:05pm Arrival
The carrier will then add five weekly roundtrip flights from Lisbon to Washington-Dulles beginning June 16. Those flights will operate Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays on the following schedule:
- Washington, DC (IAD) 10:40pm Departure ==> Lisbon (LIS) 10:50am (+1) Arrival
- Lisbon (LIS) 4:30pm Departure ==> Washington, DC (IAD) 7:40pm Arrival
Fares on the new routes start at $569 roundtrip in economy from IAD and $595 roundtrip in economy from ORD. Fares for TAP’s business class, which features 34 lie-flat seats, start at $2,951 roundtrip on both routes.
It’s clear though that TAP is expanding its presence in the US and is looking to steadily add new destinations as they move forward.
For more on TAP’s first A330neo, see:
- Flying Business Class on the World’s First Airbus A330neo
- Step Inside the First Airbus A330neo
- Take a Tour of Airbus’ Brand New A330neo Airspace Cabin
*This post has been updated with new information on the Chicago route, aircraft and airfare prices.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees