This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TAP Air Portugal has announced it’s once again expanding its presence in the United States with a new route between Lisbon (LIS) and Washington Dulles (IAD) and one from LIS to Chicago (ORD). This new service is TAP’s latest expansion into the US market. TAP already services New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Newark (EWR) and Miami (MIA). TAP has been looking to expand its operations since JetBlue founder David Neeleman took an ownership stake in the airline back in 2015.
Neeleman started with updating the brand, cabins and seats and adding new routes for customers. More than 70 new planes are on the way. It is clear that Neeleman plans to continue to expand TAP’s US offerings in the future. Neeleman has been quoted that he believes TAP could support as many as 10 gateways in the US moving forward.
Just a few days ago, TAP was the launch customer for the Airbus A330-900, and this plane will operate both new routes. The aircraft will have three cabins: Economy, EconomyXtra and Executive business class.
TAP will start five roundtrip flights per week between Chicago and Lisbon beginning June 1, 2019. The flights will operate Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays on the following schedule:
- Chicago (ORD) 6:05pm Departure ==> Lisbon (LIS) 7:50am (+1) Arrival
- Lisbon (LIS) 1:05pm Departure ==> Chicago (ORD) 4:05pm Arrival
The carrier will then add five weekly roundtrip flights from Lisbon to Washington-Dulles beginning June 16. Those flights will operate Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays on the following schedule:
- Washington, DC (IAD) 10:40pm Departure ==> Lisbon (LIS) 10:50am (+1) Arrival
- Lisbon (LIS) 4:30pm Departure ==> Washington, DC (IAD) 7:40pm Arrival
Fares on the new routes start at $569 roundtrip in economy from IAD and $595 roundtrip in economy from ORD. Fares for TAP’s business class, which features 34 lie-flat seats, start at $2,951 roundtrip on both routes.
It’s clear though that TAP is expanding its presence in the US and is looking to steadily add new destinations as they move forward.
For more on TAP’s first A330neo, see:
- Flying Business Class on the World’s First Airbus A330neo
- Step Inside the First Airbus A330neo
- Take a Tour of Airbus’ Brand New A330neo Airspace Cabin
*This post has been updated with new information on the Chicago route, aircraft and airfare prices.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees