TAP Air Portugal Expands Its US Presence
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TAP Air Portugal has announced it’s once again expanding its presence in the United States with a new route between Lisbon (LIS) and Washington Dulles (IAD) and one from LIS to Chicago (ORD). This new service is TAP’s latest expansion into the US market. TAP already services New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Newark (EWR) and Miami (MIA). TAP has been looking to expand its operations since JetBlue founder David Neeleman took an ownership stake in the airline back in 2015.
Neeleman started with updating the brand, cabins and seats and adding new routes for customers. More than 70 new planes are on the way. It is clear that Neeleman plans to continue to expand TAP’s US offerings in the future. Neeleman has been quoted that he believes TAP could support as many as 10 gateways in the US moving forward.
Just a few days ago, TAP was the launch customer for the Airbus A330-900, and this plane will operate both new routes. The aircraft will have three cabins: Economy, EconomyXtra and Executive business class.
TAP will start five roundtrip flights per week between Chicago and Lisbon beginning June 1, 2019. The flights will operate Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays on the following schedule:
- Chicago (ORD) 6:05pm Departure ==> Lisbon (LIS) 7:50am (+1) Arrival
- Lisbon (LIS) 1:05pm Departure ==> Chicago (ORD) 4:05pm Arrival
The carrier will then add five weekly roundtrip flights from Lisbon to Washington-Dulles beginning June 16. Those flights will operate Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays on the following schedule:
- Washington, DC (IAD) 10:40pm Departure ==> Lisbon (LIS) 10:50am (+1) Arrival
- Lisbon (LIS) 4:30pm Departure ==> Washington, DC (IAD) 7:40pm Arrival
Fares on the new routes start at $569 roundtrip in economy from IAD and $595 roundtrip in economy from ORD. Fares for TAP’s business class, which features 34 lie-flat seats, start at $2,951 roundtrip on both routes.
It’s clear though that TAP is expanding its presence in the US and is looking to steadily add new destinations as they move forward.
For more on TAP’s first A330neo, see:
- Flying Business Class on the World’s First Airbus A330neo
- Step Inside the First Airbus A330neo
- Take a Tour of Airbus’ Brand New A330neo Airspace Cabin
*This post has been updated with new information on the Chicago route, aircraft and airfare prices.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.