TAP Air Portugal Expands Its US Presence
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TAP Air Portugal has announced it’s once again expanding its presence in the United States with a new route between Lisbon (LIS) and Washington Dulles (IAD) and one from LIS to Chicago (ORD). This new service is TAP’s latest expansion into the US market. TAP already services New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Newark (EWR) and Miami (MIA). TAP has been looking to expand its operations since JetBlue founder David Neeleman took an ownership stake in the airline back in 2015.
Neeleman started with updating the brand, cabins and seats and adding new routes for customers. More than 70 new planes are on the way. It is clear that Neeleman plans to continue to expand TAP’s US offerings in the future. Neeleman has been quoted that he believes TAP could support as many as 10 gateways in the US moving forward.
Just a few days ago, TAP was the launch customer for the Airbus A330-900, and this plane will operate both new routes. The aircraft will have three cabins: Economy, EconomyXtra and Executive business class.
TAP will start five roundtrip flights per week between Chicago and Lisbon beginning June 1, 2019. The flights will operate Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays on the following schedule:
- Chicago (ORD) 6:05pm Departure ==> Lisbon (LIS) 7:50am (+1) Arrival
- Lisbon (LIS) 1:05pm Departure ==> Chicago (ORD) 4:05pm Arrival
The carrier will then add five weekly roundtrip flights from Lisbon to Washington-Dulles beginning June 16. Those flights will operate Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays on the following schedule:
- Washington, DC (IAD) 10:40pm Departure ==> Lisbon (LIS) 10:50am (+1) Arrival
- Lisbon (LIS) 4:30pm Departure ==> Washington, DC (IAD) 7:40pm Arrival
Fares on the new routes start at $569 roundtrip in economy from IAD and $595 roundtrip in economy from ORD. Fares for TAP’s business class, which features 34 lie-flat seats, start at $2,951 roundtrip on both routes.
It’s clear though that TAP is expanding its presence in the US and is looking to steadily add new destinations as they move forward.
For more on TAP’s first A330neo, see:
- Flying Business Class on the World’s First Airbus A330neo
- Step Inside the First Airbus A330neo
- Take a Tour of Airbus’ Brand New A330neo Airspace Cabin
*This post has been updated with new information on the Chicago route, aircraft and airfare prices.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees