This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aviation enthusiasts and airline watchers are in for a treat this Friday, with a chance to meet one of the most influential figures in the airline industry: , David Neeleman, the founder and original CEO of JetBlue, who is now a co-owner of TAP Air Portugal.
The Portuguese airline, privatized in 2015, is celebrating its 50th anniversary at New York’s JFK airport on Friday, June 15. To mark the anniversary, Neeleman is hosting what a statement from the airline’s media representatives calls his first-ever “Aviation Geek Meet-Up.”
The catch is that this won’t happen at JFK — or at Newark, the other New York-area airport served by TAP — but in Brooklyn, more precisely in East Williamsburg, considered by many to be the hippest part of the city.
Neeleman will unveil TAP’s “Stopover Corner” and give away TAP novelties and Portuguese pastries. There will also be social media challenge for a chance win two TAP airline tickets to Lisbon.
WHEN: Friday, June 15, 2018, 3 – 4pm
WHERE: Corner of Bogart and Grattan Streets, Brooklyn
TAP is taking delivery this month of the first Airbus A330neo, the re-engined, modified version of the A330, Airbus’ long-haul workhorse. The airline is the launch customer for the airplane, which will feature a new cabin with updated seats. TAP, a member of Star Alliance — meaning you can earn and redeem United Airlines miles on it —is expected to send the A330neo to New York soon, although there are no confirmed dates for the debut. When we reviewed TAP’s business class on the current version of the A330, TPG Editor-at-large Zach Honig found it “fantastic.”
Featured image of David Neeleman in Lisbon on January 31, 2018. by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA/AFP/Getty Images
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees