This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aviation enthusiasts and airline watchers are in for a treat this Friday, with a chance to meet one of the most influential figures in the airline industry: , David Neeleman, the founder and original CEO of JetBlue, who is now a co-owner of TAP Air Portugal.
The Portuguese airline, privatized in 2015, is celebrating its 50th anniversary at New York’s JFK airport on Friday, June 15. To mark the anniversary, Neeleman is hosting what a statement from the airline’s media representatives calls his first-ever “Aviation Geek Meet-Up.”
The catch is that this won’t happen at JFK — or at Newark, the other New York-area airport served by TAP — but in Brooklyn, more precisely in East Williamsburg, considered by many to be the hippest part of the city.
Neeleman will unveil TAP’s “Stopover Corner” and give away TAP novelties and Portuguese pastries. There will also be social media challenge for a chance win two TAP airline tickets to Lisbon.
WHEN: Friday, June 15, 2018, 3 – 4pm
WHERE: Corner of Bogart and Grattan Streets, Brooklyn
TAP is taking delivery this month of the first Airbus A330neo, the re-engined, modified version of the A330, Airbus’ long-haul workhorse. The airline is the launch customer for the airplane, which will feature a new cabin with updated seats. TAP, a member of Star Alliance — meaning you can earn and redeem United Airlines miles on it —is expected to send the A330neo to New York soon, although there are no confirmed dates for the debut. When we reviewed TAP’s business class on the current version of the A330, TPG Editor-at-large Zach Honig found it “fantastic.”
Featured image of David Neeleman in Lisbon on January 31, 2018. by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA/AFP/Getty Images
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees