Singapore Airlines awards will finally be available to partners again after 14-month hiatus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
14 months. That’s how long you haven’t been able to redeem partner miles for Singapore Airlines-operated award flights. While it’s normal for Singapore to block premium-cabin award space from its partners, even economy class awards haven’t been bookable during this time.
Luckily, Singapore Airlines has informed TPG that this should change soon. Specifically, the airline expects to begin releasing award space in the coming weeks.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
TPG first discovered that Singapore was blocking award availability to its partners in August 2020. This included Star Alliance partners like Air Canada Aeroplan and United MileagePlus, as well as non-alliance partners like Alaska Airlines and Virgin Atlantic.
A Singapore Airlines spokesperson confirmed the suspension with TPG and blamed COVID-related travel restrictions, providing the following statement back in September 2020:
“The temporary suspension of award seats on SQ/MI from partner airlines’ frequent flyer programmes is aligned with Singapore Airlines’ current policy to limit interline connections due to border entry as well as transit restrictions for connecting flights imposed by various countries. At present, the suspension of award redemptions is valid through November 2020, and is subject to further review based on market conditions.”
Although Singapore itself remains mostly closed for tourism, the airline announced this week that it would soon resume its popular fifth-freedom routes between New York-JFK and Frankfurt (FRA) and San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG). Given that the U.S. is relaxing entry restrictions, TPG reached out to see if the airline would at least begin reinstating awards on these routes.
Fortunately, it seems like they are. A spokesperson for the airline shared the following information with TPG:
“Singapore Airlines anticipates opening award redemption availability on newly reinstated New York JFK-Frankfurt and San Francisco-Hong Kong services progressively from early October 2021.”
While it may be disappointing that Singapore isn’t making all routes available to partners yet, especially considering they’re available through Singapore’s KrisFlyer program, this is progress. Given how long this suspension has lasted so far, many travelers have started to think that it might be permanent.
Singapore Airlines plans to slowly begin releasing award availability to partners again starting in early October, but only on select routes. Hopefully, the rest of Singapore’s route network will follow soon.
In the meantime, if you urgently need to book a Singapore award that’s not available to partners, you can do so through the Singapore KrisFlyer program. Fortunately, KrisFlyer miles are some of the easiest airline miles to earn as the airline partners with all five of the major transferable point programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards, Capital One and Marriott Bonvoy.
TPG will continue to monitor this and provide updates as they become available.
Featured photo by Fedor Selivanov / Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees