US will allow vaccinated British, EU travelers from November
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The 18-month ban on British and European travelers to the United States is finally coming to an end.
From “early November,” the White House will allow fully-vaccinated travelers to enter the United States for leisure reasons, the first time this has been allowed since March 2020. Travelers will still be required to show proof of negative COVID-19 test results in addition to proof of vaccination.
For more daily TPG news dropped right in your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The policy, originally introduced to stop the introduction of COVID-19 into the U.S. by President Trump was maintained by current President Biden despite the fact the United States now has by far the highest number of cases and deaths of any country.
Currently, only American citizens, their families and those with a limited number of special interest reasons such as diplomatic business can enter the United States if they have been in Europe (including the United Kingdom) in the past 14 days. This is despite the recent decision to allow fully vaccinated Americans to visit the United Kingdom without quarantining on arrival.
Although a negative test will still be required for entry to the U.S., fully vaccinated travelers to the United Kingdom no longer have to take a pre-departure test from October 4, and only need to take a cheaper antigen/lateral flow test on or before Day 2.
U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson is in the U.S. this week to meet with President Biden.
The news will be welcomed by British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, whose long-haul route networks are traditionally dominated with flights to the United States. With only Americans able to travel freely across the Atlantic, these flights have been operating with low passenger numbers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.