US will allow vaccinated British, EU travelers from November
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The 18-month ban on British and European travelers to the United States is finally coming to an end.
From “early November,” the White House will allow fully-vaccinated travelers to enter the United States for leisure reasons, the first time this has been allowed since March 2020. Travelers will still be required to show proof of negative COVID-19 test results in addition to proof of vaccination.
For more daily TPG news dropped right in your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The policy, originally introduced to stop the introduction of COVID-19 into the U.S. by President Trump was maintained by current President Biden despite the fact the United States now has by far the highest number of cases and deaths of any country.
Currently, only American citizens, their families and those with a limited number of special interest reasons such as diplomatic business can enter the United States if they have been in Europe (including the United Kingdom) in the past 14 days. This is despite the recent decision to allow fully vaccinated Americans to visit the United Kingdom without quarantining on arrival.
Although a negative test will still be required for entry to the U.S., fully vaccinated travelers to the United Kingdom no longer have to take a pre-departure test from October 4, and only need to take a cheaper antigen/lateral flow test on or before Day 2.
U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson is in the U.S. this week to meet with President Biden.
The news will be welcomed by British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, whose long-haul route networks are traditionally dominated with flights to the United States. With only Americans able to travel freely across the Atlantic, these flights have been operating with low passenger numbers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees