This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, we’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN OCTOBER 2018
Singapore Airlines Launches New Longest Flight in the World Between Newark and Singapore (launched October 11)
Details — What’s the longest flight you’ve ever been on? Two brave TPG team members recently flew the new 18-hour route between Newark (EWR) and Singapore (SIN) so you don’t have to. The business-class experience seems pretty great, despite an arguably flawed seat. And, the A350-900ULR’s premium economy isn’t too shabby either and there’s no economy section to worry about squishing into (gasp!). If you are thinking of flying it yourself, read this primer on the best and worst seats before you book, as that could be the difference between it being the world’s longest flight and the longest flight in the world.
- SQ21 Newark (EWR) 9:45am Departure → Singapore (SIN) 5:15pm (+1) Arrival
- SQ22 Singapore (SIN) 12:40am Departure → Newark (EWR) 5:30am Arrival
United Unveils New Nonstops from San Francisco to Auckland and Tahiti (launched October 28 and 30)
Details — Calling all Lord of the Rings / Hobbit fans, and anyone with the South Pacific on their travel bucket list: United launched two new routes this month from San Francisco (SFO) to Auckland (AKL) and Tahiti (PPT), making these two seemingly hard-to-reach destinations closer than ever. The SFO-AKL flight is operated daily by United’s 777-300ER while the seasonal SFO-PPT route runs three times a week on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays and is operated by the carrier’s 787-8 aircraft.
San Francisco to Auckland (daily):
- UA917 San Francisco (SFO) 10:45pm Departure → Auckland (AKL) 7:55am (+1) Arrival
- UA916 Auckland (AKL) 3:30pm Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 6:40am Arrival
San Francisco to Tahiti (3x per week):
- UA115 San Francisco (SFO) 2:00pm Departure → Tahiti (PPT) 7:40pm Arrival
- UA114 Tahiti (PPT) 10:40pm Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 8:45am (+1) Arrival
Norwegian Air Adds Flights From Florida to Stockholm and London (launched October 29 and 31)
Details — Everyone’s favorite low-cost carrier, Norwegian Air, continued to expand its network this month with two new routes to Europe from the Southeastern US. Folks in Florida can now fly nonstop from Orlando (MCO) to Stockholm (ARN), with seasonal service operating twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and from Tampa (TPA) to London (LGW), on new daily year-round service aboard the carrier’s signature 787-9 Dreamliner.
Orlando to Stockholm, seasonal service 2x per week on Monday and Friday from October 29, 2018 to March 29, 2019:
- DY7062 Orlando (MCO) 10:05pm Departure → Stockholm (ARN) 11:55am (+1) Arrival
- DY7061 Stockholm (ARN) 2:50pm Departure → Orlando (MCO) 7:05pm Arrival
Tampa to London, 2x a week on Wednesday and Saturday as of October 31:
- DY7166 Tampa (TPA) 10:50pm Departure → London (LGW) 10:45am (+1) Arrival
- DY7165 London (LGW) 2:55pm Departure → Tampa (TPA) 7:35pm Arrival
- DY7166 Tampa (TPA) 9:45pm Departure → London (LGW) 9:40am (+1) Arrival
- DY7165 London (LGW) 2:05pm Departure → Tampa (TPA) 6:45pm Arrival
Low-Cost Carrier Level Begins Barcelona to San Francisco Service (launched October 31)
Details — Travelers on the West Coast now have another way to fly to Europe thanks to Spanish low-cost-carrier Level’s new San Francisco (SFO) to Barcelona (BCN) route, which runs two times per week on Wednesday and Saturday and is operated by the carrier’s A330-200. TPG‘s News Editor Emily McNutt was on the airline’s inaugural flight last year from Barcelona (BCN) to Los Angeles (LAX) so it’ll be interesting to see if the brand and flight experience have evolved since then.
Schedule (2x per week):
- IB2622 San Francisco (SFO) 7:15pm Departure → Barcelona (BCN) 3:50pm (+1) Arrival
- IB2621 Barcelona (BCN) 1:30pm Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 5:15pm Arrival
Spirit Airlines Adds Routes From Orlando to Caribbean and Central America (launched October 4 and 5)
Details — Earlier this month, Spirit Airlines launched several new routes between Orlando (MCO), the Caribbean and Central America, including daily nonstop flights to Aguadilla, Puerto Rico (BQN); four weekly flights to Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA) and Panama City, Panama (PTY); four weekly (then daily starting November 8) flights to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ) and San José, Costa Rica (SJO); and twice-weekly flights to San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP).
Daily as of October 4:
- Orlando (MCO) – Aguadilla, Puerto Rico (BQN)
4x per week as of October 4:
- Orlando (MCO) – Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)
- Orlando (MCO) – Panama City, Panama (PTY)
4x per week from October 4 to November 7, then daily from November 8:
- Orlando (MCO) – Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
- Orlando (MCO) – San José, Costa Rica (SJO)
2x per week as of October 5:
Orlando (MCO) – San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP)
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN OCTOBER 2018
More Domestic and International Flights Coming Soon to American Airlines
Details — American Airlines has had a busy October, announcing a slew of new flights for 2019 from its hubs in Dallas (DFW), Miami (MIA), New York (LGA) and Charlotte (CLT), to a variety of destinations down south, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Aruba, Mexico and Honduras. The MIA to Santiago, Cuba (SCU); DFW to San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP); and DFW to Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU), routes will be serviced by the carrier’s A319 aircraft, while LGA to Aruba (AUA) and DFW to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ) will be aboard Boeing 737-800s. Flights from Dallas (DFW) to Durango, Mexico (DGO) will use an Embraer E140, while those from Charlotte (CLT) to SDQ will use an A320.
Daily service as of March 3, 2019:
- Dallas (DFW) – Augusta, Georgia (AGS)
- Dallas (DFW) – Gainesville, Florida (GNV)
- Dallas (DFW) – Yuma, Arizona (YUM)
- Dallas (DFW) – Bakersfield, California (BFL)
Daily service as of April 2, 2019:
- Dallas (DFW) – Monterey, California (MRY)
- Dallas (DFW) – Flagstaff, Arizona (FLG)
- Dallas (DFW) – Burbank, California (BUR)
Daily service as of May 3, 2019:
- Miami (MIA) – Santiago, Cuba (SCU)
Daily service as of June 6, 2019:
- Dallas (DFW) – Durango, Mexico (DGO)
Saturday service starting June 8:
- New York (LGA) – Aruba (AUA)
- Charlotte (CLT) – Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
Seasonal Saturday service between June 8 and August 17, 2019:
- Dallas (DFW) – Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
Seasonal service 4x per week between June 7 and August 17, 2019:
- Dallas (DFW) – San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP)
Seasonal service 3x per week between June 6 and August 20, 2019:
- Dallas (DFW) – Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU)
Lufthansa to Launch Service Between Austin and Frankfurt
Details — We’ve got great news for anyone in Texas who is planning a trip to Europe. On May 3, 2019, Lufthansa will begin offering nonstop service between Austin (AUS) and Frankfurt (FRA), connecting the two cities five times per week on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, with flights aboard the carrier’s A330-300 aircraft.
Schedule (5x per week):
- LH469 Austin (AUS) 4:05 Departure → Frankfurt (FRA) 9:10am (+1) Arrival
- LH468 Frankfurt (FRA) 10:05am Departure → Austin (AUS) 2:20pm Arrival
Spirit Announces New November Flights from Orlando
Details — If you’re looking for an excuse to visit Colombia, this is it. Spirit Airlines recently revealed several new routes it’s planning to launch next month from Orlando (MCO), including daily nonstop routes to Bogotá (BOG), thrice-weekly flights to St. Thomas (STT), and twice-weekly flights to Medellín (MED) and Cartagena (CTG). Twice-weekly service to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, is also set to begin next month.
Daily as of November 8:
- Orlando (MCO) – Bogotá, Colombia (BOG)
3x per week as of November 8:
- Orlando (MCO) – St. Thomas, USVI (STT)
2x per week as of November 9:
- Orlando (MCO) – Medellín, Colombia (MED)
2x per week as of November 10:
- Orlando (MCO) – Cartagena, Colombia (CTG)
- Orlando (MCO) – Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (MYR)
Delta’s Adding a New Transcon, More Routes Between US and Europe
Details — It’s been a busy month for Delta, which recently announced several new routes slated for next spring from Boston (BOS) to Lisbon (LIS) and Edinburgh (EDI), as well as increasing service from both Detroit (DTW) and Portland (PDX) to London (LHR) and new transcon service between Atlanta (ATL) and Ontario, California (ONT), dubbed the Joshua Tree Express. The transcon flight will be operated by 737-900ER aircraft, while those to Lisbon and Edinburgh will be serviced by Boeing 757s and flights from Detroit and Portland to London will be aboard the carrier’s Boeing 767s.
Boston to Lisbon, seasonal service from May 23, 2019:
- DL124 Boston (BOS) 9:45pm Departure → Lisbon (LIS) 9:15am (+1) Arrival
- DL125 Lisbon (LIS) 10:45am Departure → Boston (BOS) 1:15pm Arrival
Boston to Edinburgh, seasonal service from May 23, 2019:
- DL122 Boston (BOS) 10:15pm Departure → Edinburgh (EDI) 9:25am (+1) Arrival
- DL123 Edinburgh (EDI) 10:55am Departure → Boston (BOS) 1:02pm Arrival
Detroit to London, twice daily seasonal service as of May 19, 2019 (up from once daily service)
- DL16 Detroit (DTW) 6:16pm Departure → London (LHR) 6:40am (+1) Arrival
- DL17 London (LHR) 10:35am Departure → Detroit (DTW) 1:58pm Arrival
- DL18 Detroit (DTW) 10:33pm Departure → London (LHR) 11:10am (+1) Arrival
- DL19 London (LHR) 1:50pm Departure → Detroit (DTW) 5:22pm Arrival
Portland, OR, to London, daily seasonal service as of May 9, 2019 (up from three-to-four-times weekly)
- DL36 Portland (PDX) 6:08pm Departure → London (LHR) 12:05pm (+1) Arrival
- DL37 London (LHR) 12:30pm Departure → Portland (PDX) 3:13pm Arrival
Delta’s adding one daily flight from Atlanta to Ontario, CA, April 22, 2019…
- DL724 Atlanta (ATL) 8:30am Departure → Ontario, CA (ONT) 9:57am Arrival
- DL724 Ontario, CA (ONT) 10:55am Departure → Atlanta (ATL) 6:25pm Arrival
…before adding a second one as of June 9, 2019:
- DL1169 Atlanta (ATL) 7:30pm Departure → Ontario, CA (ONT) 8:57pm Arrival
- DL1910 Ontario (ONT) 10:45pm Departure → Atlanta (ATL) 6:05am (+1) Arrival
JetBlue to Debut More Domestic and International Options
Details — In addition to announcing several upcoming domestic routes — including Boston (BOS) to Rochester (ROC), Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Phoenix (PHX), and Providence (PVD) to Palm Beach, Florida (PBI), all expecting to start on January 8 or February 14 of next year — JetBlue revealed this month that it’s also planning two new international routes for 2019. Service from FLL to Aruba (AUA) is slated to start in February, while a new daily flight from FLL to Guayaquil (GYE) aboard the A320 is planned for the first quarter of 2019, though, as of this writing, the dates and times haven’t been released.
BOS to ROC, daily service starting January 8, 2019.
- B6713 Boston (BOS) 2:30pm Departure → Rochester (ROC) 4:06pm Arrival
- B6712 Rochester (ROC) 9:50am Departure → Boston (BOS) 11:17am Arrival
FLL to PHX, daily service starting February 14, 2019.
- B61157 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 8:41pm Departure → Phoenix (PHX) 11:59pm Arrival
- B61158 Phoenix (PHX) 12:50am Departure → Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 7:00am Arrival
FLL to AUA, daily service starting February 14, 2019.
- B62761 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 8:00am Departure → Aruba (AUA) 11:55am Arrival
- B62760 Aruba (AUA) 12:55pm Departure → Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 3:10pm Arrival
PVD to PBI, daily service starting February 14, 2019.
- B61287 Providence (PVD) 11:50am Departure → Palm Beach (PBI) 3:07pm Arrival
- B61288 Palm Beach (PBI) 8:20am Departure → Providence (PVD) 11:07am Arrival
British Airways to Fly Nonstop to London from Charleston, SC
Details — On April 4, 2019, British Airways will begin flying nonstop from Charleston, South Carolina (CHS), to London (LHR). The new route will be operated by the carrier’s 787-8 Dreamliner and is set to run twice a week on Sundays and Thursdays, making it even easier for folks in the Southeast to get to and from Europe just in time for your next epic summer vacation.
Schedule (2x per week):
- BA220 Charleston (CHS) 10:50pm Departure → London (LHR) 11:50am (+1) Arrival
- BA221 London (LHR) 5:20pm Departure → Charleston (CHS) 9:20pm Arrival
New Domestic Service Coming Soon to United
Details — Besides doubling service from Tampa (TPA) to San Francisco (SFO), United announced earlier this month it’ll be expanding its domestic network by adding new flights from Denver (DEN), Newark (EWR), Los Angeles (LAX), Washington DC (IAD), Chicago (ORD) and SFO. As of spring 2019, you’ll be able to fly nonstop from EWR and ORD to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina (HHH). Seasonal service to Fairbanks and Anchorage, Alaska, will also be available from DEN and EWR, respectively, next summer.
Tampa to San Francisco, twice daily service starting June 6, 2019.
- UA2051 Tampa (TPA) 8:50am Departure — San Francisco (SFO) 11:14am Arrival
- UA490 San Francisco (SFO) 10:05am Departure → Tampa (TPA) 6:19pm Arrival
- UA2046 Tampa (TPA) 7:15pm Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 9:39pm Arrival
- UA1439 San Francisco (SFO) 10:45pm Departure → Tampa (TPA) 6:59am (+1) Arrival
Other new additions to United’s domestic lineup:
- Denver (DEN) – Charleston, SC (CHS)
- Denver (DEN) – Eureka, CA (ACV)
- Denver (DEN) – Fairbanks, AK (FAI) – seasonal service
March 31, 2019:
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Eugene, OR (EUG)
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Madison, WI (MSN)
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Pasco/Tri-Cities, WA (PSC)
- Newark (EWR) – Hilton Head Island, SC (HHH)
April 6, 2019:
- Chicago (ORD) – Hilton Head Island, SC (HHH)
June 6, 2019:
- Washington, DC (IAD) – Asheville, NC (AVL)
- San Francisco (SFO) – Columbus, OH (CMH)
- Newark (EWR) – Pensacola, FL (PNS)
Seasonal service starting June 20, 2019:
- Newark (EWR) – Anchorage (ANC)
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Featured photo by levente bodo / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees