JetBlue Makes Route Changes, Places Emphasis on ‘Focus Cities’
JetBlue is making big changes to its route network. The New York-based airline announced on Tuesday that it’s shifting its strategy to double its efforts in focus cities.
The biggest announcement comes in the form of a new city entirely — Guayaquil, Ecuador (GYE). Beginning in the first quarter of 2019, JetBlue will launch daily nonstop service between Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and GYE using Airbus A320 aircraft.
Adding service in Ecuador, where it already serves Quito (UIO), the airline is placing an emphasis both on its presence in FLL, where it’s the leading carrier, but also in Latin America. JetBlue now operates in 22 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean.
In addition to the new Latin America route, JetBlue is connecting several of its focus cities with other destinations. The following routes will be added to the route network, beginning this winter with daily service:
- Boston (BOS) ⇒ Rochester (ROC)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL) ⇒ Phoenix (PHX)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL) ⇒ St. Maarten (SXM)
- Providence (PVD) ⇒ Palm Beach (PBI)
JetBlue is also shifting some routes and frequencies — including most from BOS and FLL.
As with many service additions from airlines, there are some subtractions to go with it. With Tuesday’s announcement of expanded service, the airline also detailed plans that as of Jan. 8, 2019, it will eliminate the following routes:
- Daytona Beach (DAB) ⇒ New York (JFK) — daily
- St. Croix (STX) ⇒ San Juan (SJU) — daily
- Washington Dulles (IAD) ⇒ New York (JFK) — daily
- Washington Dulles (IAD) ⇒ Boston (BOS) — daily
JetBlue will also scale back on some frequencies that it says are underperforming. The airline says that “certain flights servicing Baltimore, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Santiago, Dominican Republic” will see a reduction, as well as flights between Mexico City and FLL and Orlando (MCO). Finally, JetBlue’s daily year-round service between JFK and Portland, Maine (PWM) will be reduced to daily seasonal service — ending Jan. 7, 2019, for the winter season and resuming in spring 2019.
These route additions and changes come just a few weeks after JetBlue announced that it would be introducing a new basic economy fare class in 2019.
Featured image by James Leynse / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees