By the Numbers: Boeing 787-8 vs. 787-9 vs. 787-10
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With last week’s delivery of the very first 787-10 to Singapore Airlines, at Boeing’s Charleston, South Carolina factory, the manufacturer’s Dreamliner lineup — which first began passenger flights in 2011 with the smallest model, the 787-8 — is now complete.
The 787-10 is the largest model, measuring 38 feet longer than the smallest Dreamliner, the 787-8. That added capacity comes at the cost of range, though — with a maximum range of 8,785 miles, the -9 can travel nearly 1,400 miles farther than the -10.
The 787-9 Dreamliner is by far the most popular, given that it carries a large number of passengers while offering the maximum range. The 787-10, meanwhile, has seen just 171 orders, including 49 from Singapore, 30 from Etihad, 14 from United, 12 from British Airways and 8 from Air France-KLM, among others.
Below you’ll find Boeing’s three Dreamliner variants, by the numbers.
|Wingspan||197 ft., 4 in.||197 ft., 4 in.||197 ft., 4 in.|
|Cargo Capacity||9 pallets||11 pallets||13 pallets|
All three models boast features that improve passenger comfort, including lower altitude pressurization of 6,000 feet, higher humidity, LED lighting, large, electronic-dimming windows and a significant decrease in cabin noise.
They’re also great for airlines, since they’re far more efficient than previous-generation planes, offering a 20% reduction in fuel burn — and reduced emissions. Additionally, composite materials enable a 30% savings in maintenance costs, while flight-deck commonality allows 777 pilots to train for only five days before they’re able to fly the Dreamliner.
For more on the Boeing Dreamliner, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.