Lyft Will Test Turning Its Airport Pickups Into Taxi Lines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ending a trip is an exhausting process. You’ve been in transit for hours, you still need to collect your bags and belongings and then there’s the tedious commute to your home or hotel.
Well, Lyft believes that “leaving the airport should be the simplest part” of reaching your destination. The popular ride-hailing app is debuting a new feature with taxi stand-style pickup service, where riders queue up and connect with their drivers using a unique code upon pickup.
The beta launch will take place at Terminal 2 of the San Diego International Airport (SAN) beginning mid-May, and Lyft plans to expand to other airports down the road depending on how well the new feature is received. Select Lyft riders may also be invited to test out the service before the May launch date.
The service will direct all travelers to a clearly-marked Lyft pickup area in Terminal 2 where riders will wait in line to be connected with a Lyft ride.
It’s a bit ironic that Lyft, which’s seen by many as an innovative technology company that’s disrupted the cab industry, is essentially creating its own taxi line. However, it’s fair to say that this could be a useful feature at crowded airports like New York JFK, where it can sometimes take more than 15 minutes for a ride-hail vehicle to reach your location.
Here’s how the new Lyft pickup format will work:
First, enter your destination and request a standard Lyft ride.
If available, you’ll see the above screen pop up in your app. Tap “Get code” to receive your unique four-digit code. Then follow the directions to Terminal 2 and join the Lyft pickup area line, where a Lyft ambassador can answer any questions.
Once you reach the front of the line, show your code to the driver. After your accounts sync up, you’ll be on your merry way.
As of now, Lyft has not disclosed additional airports slated for future roll-out.
Lyft has other incentives to make airport ride more rewarding, including its partnerships with JetBlue and Delta where you can earn rewards points with both airline’s loyalty programs. Mastercard also just launched a program where cardholders can earn $10 in Lyft credit each month when using a World Elite credit card for Lyft purchases.
Featured photo by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees