Getting Home From JFK Is Terrible, and Lyft Data Confirms It
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Anyone who has ever flown into New York City’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) knows this to be true: Getting where you need to go from there — be it home, the office or frankly anywhere else in the Big Apple — can be a truly awful experience.
And according to data Lyft shared with TPG Thursday morning, it doesn’t just feel like an eternity. It really does take travelers longer to get from JFK to their ultimate destination than it would from any other airport.
“Lyft Business riders arriving at … JFK [saw] the longest average ride time,” the report confirmed.
Though JFK may be the worst airport in the nation in terms of average time spent getting from the airport to where you want to go, it is not (surprisingly) flanked by other New York City-area airports. According to Lyft, the other offending airports in the bottom three were Denver International Airport (DEN) followed by Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
For business travelers eager to get where they’re going without first waiting eons in traffic (read: purgatory), McCarran International Airport (LAS) in Las Vegas saw the shortest average ride times. San Jose International Airport (SJC) had the second-shortest average drive time, followed by Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX).
The Lyft report also determined that Southwest Airlines is the most popular airline with business travelers, based on drop-off data.
“We’ve seen incredible growth in the business travel space year over year,” a Lyft spokesperson said — and the report indicates that the ride-sharing app has seen a 70% increase in business traveler usage.
As a result, Lyft is now opening its Lyft Business Rewards program to all riders with a business profile. (You can make one with a valid work e-mail; Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and other similar domains won’t be accepted.) And from now until September 30 at midnight, Lyft-users can earn $5 for every qualifying ride costing $10 or more, for up to $100 in Lyft credits. To be eligible, rides must be booked in the Lyft Business profile.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees