Lyft’s New Feature Would Tell Drivers You Don’t Want to Talk
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve all been there — You’ve had a stressful day at work or just hopped off a redeye flight, and you just want to enjoy a silent ride in your Lyft. And, while the people driving these cars are much appreciated, sometimes you need your quiet time, but the driver keeps nagging you with questions.
my lyft driver is so nice but i desperately wish he’d stop talking lmao
— lewis vitton✨ (@daisydtx) July 26, 2018
Well now, Lyft is considering adding a feature that will allow passengers to notify the driver that they are not looking to make small talk. Taggart Matthiesen, Lyft’s head of product for autonomous driving, told Casey Newton in an interview on an episode of Converge, a podcast from The Verge, that the company may play around with a “zen mode” feature eventually, but they have no set plans for it at the moment.
Zen mode would be a subtle but nice way of letting your driver know that you’re not being rude by not engaging in conversation, you just want some quiet time. Matthiesen said this feature would add to the company’s plans to make rides more personalized. Lyft is also trying to get more autonomous cars that would learn about passengers on the road and is currently testing them out in Las Vegas.
“The autonomous car is going to know a lot more [about you],” Matthiesen told Newton. “It’s going to know your temperature that you’re going to want. It’s probably also going to know that it’s early in the morning, and so it’s going to have a dark-lit cabin to let you sleep.”
Lyft doubled its value in one year and is worth around $15 billion as of June. The rapidly growing startup has tried to make rides as convenient as possible, with innovations such as including price and time comparisons for rides.
Whether Lyft actually installs a “zen mode,” it is clear passengers want a polite way to ask their drivers’ for a more tranquil ride.
My Lyft driver is talking entirely too much … it’s too early
— C (@ChaviChaCha) July 26, 2018
Sometimes I feel bad for my @lyft drivers who want to talk. I know they probably think I’m an 🍑, but as an #introvert I have zero desire to communicate 99.5% of the time. I need to make a card or show them this image, or if @lyft had a profile features “note to my driver” pic.twitter.com/RnOJgJNGMe
— Wayne Sutton (@waynesutton) May 5, 2018
Have my lyft driver 5 stars for not talking to me. Wish it had don’t disturb me button on it forreal
— c (@miss_maureenie) July 25, 2018
Featured image by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees