Lyft Launches Rewards Program Offering Up to 10% Back on Rides
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Since Uber launched its credit card, it was only a matter of time before its main ride-sharing rival, Lyft, responded with something of its own. Today, Lyft is launching a rewards program for its business riders that will offer up to 10% back on their rides.
To enroll, you’ll first have to sign up for a Lyft business profile, if you don’t already have one, and opt-in to the program via the app or through email. A Lyft business profile really just allows for easier expensing to your company.
The next time you request a ride, make sure your app is set to “Business” mode, and from there everything will work the same as a normal Lyft ride, you’ll just now be able to earn Lyft credit.
The rewards are structured like so: For every five rides you take under your business profile, you’ll earn $5 in Lyft credit that will be deposited back into your personal account. Note that each ride under your business profile will need to cost $10 or more to qualify.
So if you took five rides at $10 each, for $50 total spent on Lyft, you’d receive one $5 credit. That’s a solid 10% return, but granted that percentage will drop the more your rides cost. You’ll be capped at $100 in credits, although you’d have to take 100 rides to hit that cap. To increase your earnings, make sure to use a travel rewards credit card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, which would earn you 3x points or 2x miles, respectively.
It appears that there isn’t any reason not to use your business profile for all your rides, so you can earn credits.
Lyft says it will gradually roll out the program over the coming weeks and will likely expand earning opportunities in the future. Uber, what say you?
Featured image by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.