IHG extends all elite status and award night certificates
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information
The novel COVID-19 outbreak has brought the travel industry to a near standstill. Between major event cancellations and travel restrictions, hotel occupancy rates and flight loads are hitting record lows. There’s no doubt that earning elite status is going to be a challenge this year, so to alleviate some of that worry and maintain customer loyalty once travel picks up again, many airlines and hotels have been adjusting the validity of elite status, upgrade certificates and other expiring perks.
IHG has just announced that it is automatically extending all elite statuses through January 2022 — regardless of how many nights you complete in 2020. This is similar to the previously-announced moves of Hilton and Hyatt, and is slightly more generous than Marriott’s announcement in that it includes extensions for members who earned status via a status match. This means elite members will have a full additional year to enjoy benefits like complimentary room upgrades and late checkout. For Spire Elite members, this includes the choice benefit of 25,000 bonus points or gifting of Platinum Elite status to someone each year. InterContinental Royal Ambassador and Kimpton Inner Circle members will maintain their memberships in the invite-only programs.
Related: Best hotel credit cards
Today’s announcement is in addition to IHG’s previous announcement that it will extend the validity of anniversary award night certificates earned with the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card. Existing certificates set to expire March 1, 2020, or later will have their validity extended through Dec. 31, 2020. Additionally, all new certificates issued in 2020 will be valid for 18 months, six months longer than the usual 12 months of validity.
For those worried about their IHG points expiring, there’s also good news. IHG is extending the points expiration date to June 30, 2021.
In addition, IHG has extended its cancellation fee waiver. Now, you’ll be able to cancel existing bookings made through April 6, 2020 for stays through June 30, 2020 without penalty, although the waiver for hotels in Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region is only good for stays through April 30, 2020.
The chain has also stated that bookings made through third-party sites such as online travel agencies (OTAs) such as Expedia must be canceled directly through the OTA.
IHG had also already extended a helping hand for existing elite members by reducing required stays by 25% or more, whether measured by nights or by points. If you are concerned about retaining your IHG status, do note that having the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card conveys IHG Platinum elite status without any stay requirements. IHG Rewards Club Traveler Credit Cardholders can earn IHG Gold Elite status by spending $10,000 or more each calendar year. The information for the IHG Traveler Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
An email distributed to IHG elite members stated, “With more constrained travel plans and a shorter time period during which members can earn Elite tier status, we are reducing the Elite membership criteria required (nights or points) this year by 25% or more.
IHG issued an accompanying statement with these two announcements, saying that, “We continue to monitor the situation and will be keeping this policy under review.”
Hotel reservations booked beyond June 30 (with the exceptions noted above) are currently subject to IHG’s current cancellation policy. “Our Best Flexible Rate allows our guests to change or cancel their reservation one to two days prior to arrival,” IHG stated in its notification email. “Changing the date on any reservations may result in different pricing, but there is no fee for making changes. To ask about any booking, contact the hotel or our reservation team.
Additional reporting by Andrew Kunesh and Katherine Fan.
Featured photo courtesy of IHG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening , then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees