These are the latest U.S. travel advisories for 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
The global coronavirus pandemic has impacted every country in the world and has even reach locations as far as Antarctica. As Americans (and countries around the world) are riding out the COVID-19 storm, it’s important to revisit the travel advisories that have been issued by the U.S. Department of State, especially as these advisories are constantly being updated.
As of the time of this publication, 87 countries remain under a strict Level 4: Do Not Travel advisory.
COVID-19 is still a worldwide threat. Americans experiencing COVID-19 related emergencies overseas should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, or call the State Department assistance call center:
- From the U.S. & Canada – 1-888-407-4747
- From Overseas – +1 202-501-4444
- Enroll in STEP — the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
If you have existing travel plans already booked, keep a close eye on local travel restrictions and guidelines to minimize the further spread of the disease. The only type of travel insurance that offers a partial refund is “cancel for any reason” (CFAR) travel insurance. However, airlines are offering flexible schedule changes and refunds for disrupted travel.
Many countries still have travel restrictions and/or additional entry requirements for U.S. travelers entering foreign nations. Before you travel, be sure to check the requirements from the country or countries you plan to visit, in order to ensure you have all the documents and any testing you need. Otherwise, you may not be allowed to travel or worse yet, will be sent home upon arrival.
In order to help you keep up, TPG maintains a list of all the advisories that have been issued or updated as of July 2021, including all of the Level 4 advisories to date. You can also find the complete list of travel advisories on the State Department’s website.
For information on travel advisories relating to COVID-19 issued by the CDC, check out our full guide here.
Level 4 advisories (Do Not Travel):
British Virgin Islands
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
The Kyrgyz Republic
North Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea)
Papua New Guinea
Republic of the Congo
Sao Tome and Principe
Trinidad and Tobago
United Arab Emirates
Level 3 advisories (Reconsider Travel):
Israel, The West Bank and Gaza
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Level 2 advisories (exercise increased caution):
Bosnia and Herzegovina
French West Indies
Turks and Caicos
Level 1 advisories (exercise normal precautions):
Antigua and Barbuda
Featured image of the map of US travel advisories by the U.S. Department of State.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees