These are the U.S. travel advisories for January 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
The global coronavirus pandemic has impacted every country in the world and has even reach locations as far as Antarctica. As Americans (and countries around the world) are weathering a surge in COVID-19 cases, it’s important to revisit the travel advisories that have been issued by the U.S. Department of State, especially as these advisories are constantly being updated.
Instead, the agency has pivoted to highlighting individual countries based on travel risk. As of the time of this publication, 27 countries remain under a strict Level 4: Do Not Travel advisory.
COVID-19 is still a worldwide threat. Americans experiencing COVID-19 related emergencies overseas should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, or call the State Department assistance call center:
- From the U.S. & Canada – 1-888-407-4747
- From Overseas – +1 202-501-4444
- Enroll in STEP — the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
If you have existing travel plans already booked, keep a close eye on local travel restrictions and guidelines to minimize further spread of the disease. The only type of travel insurance that offers a partial refund is “cancel for any reason” (CFAR) travel insurance. However, a number of airlines are offering flexible schedule changes and refunds for disrupted travel.
Many countries have issued travel restrictions or additional entry requirements for U.S. travelers entering foreign nations. Before you travel, be sure to check the requirements from the country or countries you plan to visit, in order to ensure you have all the documents and any testing you need. Otherwise, you may not be allowed to travel or worse yet, will be sent home upon arrival.
In order to help you keep up, TPG maintains a list of all the advisories that have been issued or updated as of Jan. 1, 2021, including all of the Level 4 advisories to date. You can also find the complete list of travel advisories on the State Department’s website.
For information on travel advisories relating to COVID-19 issued by the CDC, check out our full guide here.
Level 4 advisories (Do Not Travel):
Central African Republic
French West Indies
The Kyrgyz Republic
North Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea)
Level 3 advisories (Reconsider Travel):
Antigua and Barbuda
Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba
Bosnia and Herzegovina
British Virgin Islands
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Israel, The West Bank and Gaza
Republic of the Congo
Sao Tome and Principe
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos
United Arab Emirates
Level 2 advisories (exercise increased caution):
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Level 1 advisories (exercise normal precautions):
Featured image of the map of US travel advisories by the U.S. Department of State.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.