These are the U.S. travel advisories for March 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
The global coronavirus pandemic has impacted every country in the world and has even reach locations as far as Antarctica. As Americans (and countries around the world) are riding out the COVID-19 storm, it’s important to revisit the travel advisories that have been issued by the U.S. Department of State, especially as these advisories are constantly being updated.
Instead, the agency has pivoted to highlighting individual countries based on travel risk. As of the time of this publication, 30 countries remain under a strict Level 4: Do Not Travel advisory.
COVID-19 is still a worldwide threat. Americans experiencing COVID-19 related emergencies overseas should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, or call the State Department assistance call center:
- From the U.S. & Canada – 1-888-407-4747
- From Overseas – +1 202-501-4444
- Enroll in STEP — the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
If you have existing travel plans already booked, keep a close eye on local travel restrictions and guidelines to minimize the further spread of the disease. The only type of travel insurance that offers a partial refund is “cancel for any reason” (CFAR) travel insurance. However, a number of airlines are offering flexible schedule changes and refunds for disrupted travel.
Many countries have issued travel restrictions or additional entry requirements for U.S. travelers entering foreign nations. Before you travel, be sure to check the requirements from the country or countries you plan to visit, in order to ensure you have all the documents and any testing you need. Otherwise, you may not be allowed to travel or worse yet, will be sent home upon arrival.
In order to help you keep up, TPG maintains a list of all the advisories that have been issued or updated as of March 2021, including all of the Level 4 advisories to date. You can also find the complete list of travel advisories on the State Department’s website.
For information on travel advisories relating to COVID-19 issued by the CDC, check out our full guide here.
Level 4 advisories (Do Not Travel):
Central African Republic
French West Indies
North Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea)
Turks and Caicos
Level 3 advisories (Reconsider Travel):
Antigua and Barbuda
Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba
Bosnia and Herzegovina
British Virgin Islands
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Israel, The West Bank and Gaza
The Kyrgyz Republic
Republic of the Congo
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sao Tome and Principe
Trinidad and Tobago
United Arab Emirates
Level 2 advisories (exercise increased caution):
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Level 1 advisories (exercise normal precautions):
Featured image of the map of US travel advisories by the U.S. Department of State.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees