Some restrictions lifted; These are the U.S. travel advisories for August 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
The global coronavirus pandemic has impacted every country in the world. As Americans cautiously explore travel in 2020 and beyond, it’s important to revisit the travel advisories that have been issued by the U.S. Department of State, especially as these advisories are constantly being updated.
Instead, the agency has pivoted to highlighting individual countries based on travel risk. As of early August, more than 50 countries are under a strict Level 4: Do Not Travel advisory, including destinations that are usually high on popular tourism lists such as the Bahamas, Mexico and Argentina.
Americans experiencing COVID-19 related emergencies overseas should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, or call the Department State assistance call center:
- From the U.S. & Canada – 1-888-407-4747
- From Overseas – +1 202-501-4444
- Enroll in STEP — the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
If you have existing travel plans already booked, keep a close eye on local travel restrictions and guidelines to minimize further spread of the disease. The only type of travel insurance that offers a partial refund is “cancel for any reason” (CFAR) travel insurance. However, a number of airlines are offering flexible schedule changes and refunds for disrupted travel.
Many countries have issued travel restrictions or additional entry requirements for U.S. travelers entering foreign nations. Before you travel, be sure to check the requirements from the country or countries you plan to visit, in order to ensure you have all the documents you need. Otherwise, you may not be allowed to travel or worse yet, will be sent home upon arrival.
In order to help you keep up, TPG maintains a list of all the advisories that have been issued or updated as of Aug. 17, 2020, including all of the Level 4 advisories to date. You can also find the complete list of travel advisories on the State Department’s website.
Further reading: TPG’s ultimate guide to traveling during the coronavirus pandemic
Level 4 advisories (Do Not Travel):
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
North Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea)
Sao Tome and Principe
the Kyrgyz Republic
Level 3 advisories (Reconsider Travel):
Antigua and Barbuda
Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba
Bosnia and Herzegovina
British Virgin Islands
Democratic Republic of the Congo
French West Indies
Israel, The West Bank and Gaza
Papua New Guinea
Republic of the Congo
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos
United Arab Emirates
Level 2 advisories (exercise increased caution):
Level 1 advisories (exercise normal precautions):
Featured image of the map of US travel advisories by the U.S. Department of State.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.