Hilton just became the first major chain to extend elite status and points expiration
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We are living in unprecedented times and, as a result, loyalty programs are allowing unprecedented flexibility.
In response to COVID-19, Hilton Honors on Wednesday, March 25, became the first of the major hotel loyalty programs to announce generous extensions and policies for travelers around the world.
Extending elite status
First, Hilton announced that people who had earned Hilton Honors elite status in 2019 that was scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020, will automatically receive an extension of that elite status through March 31, 2021. This is valid at all status levels.
Additionally, the elite status a Hilton Honors member earned for 2020 will now be extended until March 31, 2022. Yes, you read that correctly: Your 2020 elite benefits will be valid for 24 months, until 2022.
Points and Weekend Night Reward extensions
Normally, Hilton Honors points expire after 12 months with no activity. Hilton had already paused point expirations through May 31, 2020, but that date has now been pushed back to the end of the year on Dec. 31, 2020.
Those valuable Hilton weekend award night certificates you can get with various Hilton cobranded credit cards, such as the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express, have also been given extended expiration dates. Any unexpired Hilton Weekend Night Rewards available for use as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued through Aug. 30, 2020, will be valid until Aug. 31, 2021. The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Flexible cancellation and rebooking policies
If you have an existing Hilton reservation (regardless of when you booked) that was made on a “noncancelable” or “advance purchase” rate for arrival on or before June 30, 2020, those reservations can now be changed or canceled at no charge until 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
Any new Hilton reservations that you book from now until June 30, 2020, for any future arrival date (including nonrefundable rates), can be changed or canceled until 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.
If you made your hotel booking directly with Hilton (either on its website, app or call center) you should be able to make changes through the help center, or contact Hilton for assistance. If you booked through a third-party site, such as Expedia or Hotels.com, you’ll need to go through that site for assistance.
In addition to offering generous elite status, points and reward night extensions, Hilton also announced the brand would provide housing for first responders and health care workers. Plus, Hilton Honors members can donate points to support select organizations, and Hilton is pledging financial assistance to help those affected by the novel coronavirus.
At TPG, we appreciate Hilton Honors taking the lead and making this time easier on travelers in terms of refunds, changes, and points and status extensions.
Featured image courtesy of Dorde/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees