A cruise for Generation Z? That’s the plan at one line
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Big news, Generation Z members: You now have your very own cruises.
River line U by Uniworld this week announced plans for the cruise industry’s first Generation Z-focused sailings to start in 2021.
The seven-night trips, to take place on European rivers, will be specifically aimed at teens and their parents with special activities such as onboard karaoke contests, foosball tournaments, camping on ship rooftops and trivia nights.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter
Generation Z is made up of today’s teenagers plus people in their young 20s.
U by Uniworld also said it would launch its first foodie-themed cruise.
“We’re introducing these unconventional experiences that align with our traveler’s playful and adventurous energy and will bring even more value to our sailings than before,” U by Uniworld president and CEO Ellen Bettridge said in a statement.
U by Uniworld’s new Generation Z-focused sailings will kick off in July 10, 2021 in Amsterdam with a seven-night sailing around the Netherlands and Belgium. Other itineraries will follow the Rhine southward from Amsterdam to Frankfurt, Germany, and the Danube through Germany and Austria.
To be called GenZ On U, the program will include six sailings in all for 2021. The trips will take place on the line’s two vessels, The A and The B. Each holds 120 passengers.
U by Uniword said teens will have a designated lounge on board the vessels to hang out. Additional onboard activities will include projector movie nights on ship rooftops and onboard pretzel demonstrations.
During port stops, excursion options will include family-focused activities such as a culture and food bike tour through the neighborhoods of Antwerp, Belgium; kayaking through the canals of Ghent, Belgium; and yoga in Austria’s vineyard-lined Wachau Valley.
Unveiled in 2018 by longtime river cruise operator Uniworld, U by Uniworld has built its business around drawing a younger crowd than is typical for river cruising, particularly millennials.
U by Uniworld’s ships boast sleek, matte black exteriors; onboard mixologists and DJs; deck-top yoga; and communal tables for dining. Accommodations include studio bedrooms, some of which hold up to three people.
In 2019, its second year in operation, the line targeted millennials with such theme sailings as drag queen cruises and tattoo fan cruises. U by Uniworld hasn’t been operating this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Initially, U by Uniworld focused its marketing almost exclusively on millennials, the segment of the population currently in their 20s and 30s. When it launched, it only was open to passengers under the age of 45. But the line has since relaxed that age limit and draws nonmillennials, too.
U by Uniworld is one of two new cruise lines that are aggressively targeting a younger crowd. Startup brand Virgin Voyages also is going after a younger demographic with everything from tattoo parlors on its first ship, Scarlet Lady, to drag-queen brunches and a colorful karaoke lounge.
Unlike U by Uniworld, Virgin Voyages is not allowing younger children on board. To ensure a proper party vibe, it’ll be a kid-free travel zone, with a minimum age to sail of 18.
U by Uniworld this week also announced that its ships would be more all-inclusive for 2021. Beer and wine will be included with lunch and dinner for the first time. So will airport transfers to and from ships.
U by Uniworld already includes meals, excursions, Wi-Fi and gratuities in its base fare.
Fares for 2021 sailings will start at $2,799 per person, based on double occupancy.
Stories to help you plan your next cruise:
- The 6 best cruise ship waterslides and watery fun zones
- Are cruise ship drinks packages worth the price? A line-by-line guide
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- Cruise ship restaurant nirvana: The 7 best meals at sea
- The best cruise lines for solo travelers
- A guide to travel insurance for cruises
Featured image courtesy of U by Uniworld
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees