Delta Doubles Down on Boston: Bigger Sky Club and New Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When Delta deems your local airport a “focus city,” watch out — the airline has shown time and time again that it’s willing to put in the effort to become a go-to carrier when it senses the market calling. As Delta has done in Seattle (SEA) and Raleigh-Durham (RDU), it’s planning to put yet another meaningful stake in the ground in Beantown. We aren’t saying this is necessarily aimed directly at JetBlue, but it’ll no doubt make JetBlue loyalists reconsider who the best carrier is for their needs.
Delta is expanding its Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) service with new multiple daily nonstop flights to four top markets from Boston: Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Newark-Liberty International (EWR) and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) beginning Sept. 9, 2019, as well as Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) on April 1, 2019.
Delta and partners will offer up to 152 daily departures from Logan with these additions, an increase of nearly 30 daily departures compared to 2018. Additionally, in partnership with Massport, Delta plans to assume operations at all gates at Logan’s Terminal A by third-quarter 2019.
While American Airlines is focusing on its Flagship Lounges (not to mention bolstering its aircraft presence in Boston), Delta appears to be keen on making existing Sky Clubs larger. There’s no hero descriptor, but as it’s doing in Los Angeles (LAX) and Washington (DCA), Delta intends to expand the Boston A18 Sky Club by 2020 to include “new showers, expanded seating and a reimagined food and beverage area.”
In addition to new service, Delta is expanding with new daily frequencies from Boston to Indianapolis (IND), Jacksonville (JAX), Nashville (BNA), Philadelphia (PHL) and Pittsburgh (PIT). 2019 is shaping up to be a huge year for Delta in Boston, as it’ll also begin service to Lisbon (LIS) and Edinburgh (EDI), while partner KLM adds another Amsterdam (AMS) flight and Korean Air launches new nonstop service to Seoul (ICN).
Moreover, Boston is one of Delta’s launch markets for the Airbus A220, which will begin passenger service to New York (LGA) on Jan. 31, 2019. One area JetBlue still has firmly locked down? The best business class transcon service out of Boston.
For Delta loyalists in the Boston area, be sure to take a look at our top picks for credits cards that best support Delta flyers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.