How TPG Readers Ranked the Best Hotel Promotions of the Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been almost two weeks since we held the inaugural TPG Awards aboard the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in New York City. In addition to recognizing the best credit cards, airlines and hotel programs of 2018, we also honored Captain “Sully” Sullenberger and Leyma Gbowee with special awards and enjoyed a musical performance by Bebe Rexha, making for a fantastic evening.
The majority of the awards given out were selected solely by readers; votes were submitted through a secured Google poll to ensure one vote per person. And naturally when you ask for reader input, you’re likely to get a range of opinions, and that’s exactly what we saw across all of the readers’ choice categories. Today we’re continuing to highlight the individual voting results to provide additional insight into how the finalists landed.
Here’s the list of nominees for best hotel promotion in order of the number of votes they received:
- Marriott/SPG MegaBonus
- Hilton’s double points promotion
- Hilton’s Points Unlimited promotion
- Hyatt’s fall promotion of up to 60,000 points
- Buy Hilton points with 100% bonus
- Buy IHG points with 100% bonus
- Wyndham’s Stay Twice promotion
As you can tell from the nominees, 2018 wasn’t exactly a banner year in the hotel promotion department. In fact, the main feature of the winner (MegaBonus, the first promo from the combined Marriott/SPG program) was just 2,000 bonus points on stays of two nights or more. This haul is worth just $16 based on TPG’s most recent valuations, though you could extend your earnings by visiting multiple brands during the promotional period. Bear in mind too that you can still register for the promotion (through Jan. 7, 2019) by logging into your Marriott account; you can still earn bonus points on stays through Jan. 31, 2019.
MegaBonus has been Marriott’s oft-repeated promotion, so it’s safe to assume it’ll be sticking around into 2019. But can it maintain its grip on this award for next year? You’ll just have to wait and see.
Featured photo courtesy of the St. Regis Maldives
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees