This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been almost two weeks since we held the inaugural TPG Awards aboard the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in New York City. In addition to recognizing the best credit cards, airlines and hotel programs of 2018, we also honored Captain “Sully” Sullenberger and Leyma Gbowee with special awards and enjoyed a musical performance by Bebe Rexha, making for a fantastic evening.
The majority of the awards given out were selected solely by readers; votes were submitted through a secured Google poll to ensure one vote per person. And naturally when you ask for reader input, you’re likely to get a range of opinions, and that’s exactly what we saw across all of the readers’ choice categories. Today we’re continuing to highlight the individual voting results to provide additional insight into how the finalists landed.
Here’s the list of nominees for best hotel promotion in order of the number of votes they received:
- Marriott/SPG MegaBonus
- Hilton’s double points promotion
- Hilton’s Points Unlimited promotion
- Hyatt’s fall promotion of up to 60,000 points
- Buy Hilton points with 100% bonus
- Buy IHG points with 100% bonus
- Wyndham’s Stay Twice promotion
As you can tell from the nominees, 2018 wasn’t exactly a banner year in the hotel promotion department. In fact, the main feature of the winner (MegaBonus, the first promo from the combined Marriott/SPG program) was just 2,000 bonus points on stays of two nights or more. This haul is worth just $18 based on TPG’s most recent valuations, though you could extend your earnings by visiting multiple brands during the promotional period. Bear in mind too that you can still register for the promotion (through Jan. 7, 2019) by logging into your Marriott account; you can still earn bonus points on stays through Jan. 31, 2019.
MegaBonus has been Marriott’s oft-repeated promotion, so it’s safe to assume it’ll be sticking around into 2019. But can it maintain its grip on this award for next year? You’ll just have to wait and see.
Featured photo courtesy of the St. Regis Maldives
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards