Final week: Buy IHG points for just 0.57 cents each with this 75% bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
You’ve got less than one week to take advantage of the latest IHG buy points promotion and earn up to a 75% bonus.
Ending Feb. 27, 2020, members can purchase points for as little as 0.57 cents each — and some are even targeted for the opportunity to purchase up to 150,000 points (50,000 points beyond IHG’s yearly limit). You’ll end up with 262,500 points for a total of $1,500.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Many of us at TPG have this offer in our accounts: The bonus is triggered at 7,000 points, with a 150,000-point limit. However, you’ll need to buy quite a lot more to receive the optimal rate. The tiers are:
- Buy 1,000 to 6,000 points – no bonus
- Buy 7,000 to 19,000 points – 50% bonus
- Buy 20,000 to 150,000 points – 75% bonus
The more you buy, the less you’ll pay per point, even within bonus tiers. For example, if you buy 25,000 points, your cost per point will be 0.66 cents each. If you buy 26,000 points, you’ll pay 0.57 cents per point.
Other versions of the bonus some TPG staff received are:
- 5,000 to 14,000 points – 50% bonus
- 15,000+ points – 75% bonus
- 7,000 to 25,000 points – 50% bonus
- 26,000+ points – 75% bonus
Who should purchase IHG points?
You may be seduced by the words “75% bonus,” but remember there are other far more inexpensive ways to earn IHG points — namely, the IHG cobranded credit cards:
- IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card -140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening (an all-time high)
- IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card – 60,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening
If you’ve already got these cards, this IHG buy-points deal is a solid way to scoop up points for cheap. IHG points are worth 0.5 cents each based on current TPG valuations. The cheapest rate with this promotion is 0.57 cents each, so you should have a specific redemption in mind if you decide to purchase points.
Many of us used to buy IHG points speculatively because IHG’s of amazing PointBreaks promotion, but that seems to be discontinued for the foreseeable future. Still, it’s possible to get much greater value than just 0.57 cents from your IHG points. With few exceptions, IHG hotels cost between 10,000 and 70,000 points. At 0.57 cents each, you could book an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora for just $399 per night if you can find the availability.
Which credit card should you use?
We’ve found that the best credit card for buying IHG points is one that earns a solid amount of points for non-bonus spending. When you buy IHG points, the transaction is processed by Points.com, not IHG. Your purchase won’t code as travel, so you won’t earn a travel category bonus from any of the top travel rewards credit cards. You’ll want to choose a card like:
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express, which earns 2 Amex Membership Rewards points per dollar (a 4% return based on TPG’s valuations) on the first $50,000 per year and then 1x thereafter
- The Chase Freedom Unlimited, which earns 1.5% cash back on all purchases
Note that the Chase Freedom Unlimited cash back can become fully-transferable Ultimate Rewards points (up to a 3% return based on TPG’s valuations) if you also have an Ultimate Rewards-earning card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Featured photo courtesy of IHG.
JT Genter contributed to this post.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page about IHG’s “buy points” promotions, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for the latest offer. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older deals below.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees