This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG Rewards is back with a solid buy points promotion. Now through Feb. 28, members can purchase points with up to a 75% bonus. When you buy at least 26,000 points, you’ll purchase IHG points for just 0.57 cents apiece — which is less than TPG’s valuation of IHG points. At this rate, you can snag PointBreaks hotels for just $29 and category 1 hotels for $57 per night.
That said, IHG has offered 100% bonuses multiple times in the past year. So, this isn’t the promotion to take advantage of unless you need points to book a redemption in the next month.
While the promotion page doesn’t explicitly state that the rate for buying points depends on how many points you buy, it’s important to know that there’s also a breakpoint at 11,000 points and another at 26,000 points. Here’s how the pricing breaks down:
- Buy 1,000-4,000 points for 1.35 cents per point
- Buy 5,000-10,000 points + 50% bonus points for 0.90 cents per point
- Buy 11,000-19,000 points + 50% bonus points for 0.77 cents per point
- Buy 20,000-25,000 points + 75% bonus points for 0.66 cents per point
- Buy 26,000-100,000 points + 75% bonus points for 0.57 cents per point
If you want to max out this bonus, you can buy 100,000 points and end up with 175,000 points for $1,000:
In April 2018, IHG increased the number of points you can buy in a year to 100,000 points, and it’s important to note that bonus points don’t count toward this limit. The terms and conditions state that “members may purchase a maximum of 100,000 points per calendar year and receive as a gift a maximum of 100,000 points per calendar year.” However, some TPG readers report being able to purchase an additional 50,000 points per year after maximizing out the 100,000 limit.
While buying points without a bonus (almost) never makes sense, buying points through this promotion could make sense for some IHG Rewards members. The optimal 0.57 cents per point purchase rate is less than TPG’s 0.6 cents per point valuation, which means there’s potential value to be gained.
For instance, at a 0.57 cent purchase rate and with IHG PointBreaks hotels available starting at 5,000 points per night, you can score hotel nights for just $29 per night at the seven remaining hotels by combining these promotions. In addition, there are 10 hotels still available at 10,000 points through PointBreaks. There are no tricks are needed to get a $57 per night rate at these hotels; just buy points through this promotion and then book a stay now through Feb. 28, 2019.
Over the holidays, I took advantage of one of these PointBreaks hotels, staying at the Hotel Indigo in Birmingham, AL for an average of 11,250 points per night — just $64 per night at the optimal 0.57 purchase rate. I got this excellent rate by combining the 15,000 point per night PointBreak price (which is still available at this hotel) with the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card‘s fourth night free benefit.
Even without the credit card benefit, you can simply buy points outright at 0.57 cents per point to book nights here for just $86 — or less than half of the standard price before taxes. No tricks needed: just buy and redeem.
How to Buy Points
- Visit IHG’s Buy Points link.
- Enter your name, IHG Rewards Club number, PIN and email address to log in.
- Select the number of points you want to purchase.
- Enter your credit card information and billing address and click Continue.
- Confirm the details, check the box to agree to the Terms and Conditions and click “Pay Now.”
Which Credit Card Should You Use
We put this exact question to the test recently. Here’s our full results.
Since the purchase is processed by Points.com, you won’t earn a travel category bonus from this purchase on most cards. The only card that we tested that got a bonus was the Ink Business Preferred Credit Card, which earned 3x Ultimate Rewards points — netting the best 6.3% return on your purchase based on TPG valuations. The runners up were The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express 2x Membership Rewards points (on the first $50,000 per year; then 1x thereafter) (3.8%) or the Chase Freedom Unlimited‘s 1.5x Ultimate Rewards points (3.15%).
If you don’t have it yet, the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is a much cheaper and easier way of scoring IHG points. Sign up today and spend $2,000 in the first three months to score a 80,000-point bonus. The card also comes with a free anniversary night, fourth-night free award stays and IHG Platinum Elite status — which has gotten me countless upgrades during my one year living on the road.
Featured image of the InterContinental Tahiti Resort and Spa by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page about IHG’s “buy points” promotions, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for the latest offer. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older deals below.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn 80,000 points, worth up to $480 with the IHG Rewards Premier Card. With this card you'll get IHG Rewards Platinum Elite status which more than negates the value of the $89 annual fee. You'll also earn 10 points per dollar at IHG hotels, 2 points per dollar on gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants and 1 point per dollar on everything else.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Enjoy a Free Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a free reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn 10 points per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®