This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG has launched a new targeted buy-points promotion giving targeted members the chance to get the best-ever 100% bonus on buying points. If you’re targeted, you’ll double your points purchase when you buy at least 5,000 IHG points now through August 22.
Although the promotion page doesn’t explicitly state the cost per point, the bonus is tiered, and at the very top tier you can purchase IHG points for as little as 0.5 cents apiece. For those with the 100% offer, here’s how the pricing breaks down:
- Buy 1,000-4,000 points for 1.35 cents per point
- Buy 5,000-10,000 points + 100% bonus points for 0.675 cents per point
- Buy 11,000-25,000 points + 100% bonus points for 0.575 cents per point
- Buy 26,000-100,000 points + 100% bonus points for 0.5 cents per point
That means you can maximize this bonus by buying 100,000 points at a time, which will net you 200,000 points for $1,000:
As part of its April 2018 buy points promotion, IHG increased the number of points you can buy in a year to 100,000 base points, and thankfully bonus points don’t count toward this limit. Since the optimal 0.5 cents per point purchase rate begins at 26,000 points, make sure that you’re buying at least that many points in each purchase if you’re making multiple purchases.
While buying points without a bonus (almost) never makes sense, buying points through this promotion could make sense for some IHG Rewards members. The optimal 0.5 cents per point purchase rate is less than TPG’s 0.6 cents per point valuation, which means there’s potential value to be gained.
For instance, at a 0.5 cent purchase rate and with IHG PointBreaks still available for 5,000 points per night, you can score hotel nights for just $25 per night using this promotion. One hotel available now is the Candlewood Suites San Antonio Downtown. While it’s no InterContinental, I know from staying there myself that it’s centrally located and makes for a great budget stay for anyone looking to visit San Antonio for just $25 a night.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, you can buy points through this promotion to get a beach bungalow at the InterContinental Le Moana Bora Bora for just $350 per night. That’s not bad for a room that typically goes for $800+ after taxes.
How to Buy Points
- Visit IHG’s Buy Points link.
- Enter your name, IHG Rewards Club number, PIN and email address to log in.
- Select the number of points you want to purchase.
- Enter your credit card information and billing address and click Continue.
- Confirm the details, check the box to agree to the Terms and Conditions and click “Pay Now.”
Which Credit Card Should You Use
We put this exact question to the test recently. Here’s our full results.
Since the purchase is processed by Points.com, you won’t earn a travel category bonus from this purchase on most cards. The only card that we tested that got a bonus was the Ink Business Preferred Credit Card, which earned 3x Ultimate Rewards points – netting the best 6.3% return on your purchase based on TPG valuations. The runners up were The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express 2x Membership Rewards points (3.8%) or the Chase Freedom Unlimited‘s 1.5x Ultimate Rewards points (3.15%).
If you don’t have it yet, the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is a much cheaper and easier way of scoring IHG points. Sign up today and spend $2,000 in the first three months to score a 80,000-point bonus. The card also comes with a free anniversary night, fourth-night free award stays and IHG Platinum Elite status — which has gotten me countless upgrades during my one year living on the road.
Featured image courtesy of InterContinental Le Moana Bora Bora — award nights available for $350 per night through this promotion.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page about IHG’s “buy points” promotions, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for the latest offer. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older deals below.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add your first authorized user and make your first purchase in the first three months from account opening
- Enjoy a Free Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a free reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn 10 points per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®