Avianca LifeMiles Redesigns Award Booking Site
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG readers are used to hearing about some of the great deals offered by lesser known frequent flyer programs. However, these often come with some caveats: you’ll have to put up with navigating a difficult website, you’ll be disappointed that it doesn’t have access to the same awards found on other programs, or you’ll be frustrated with poorly trained phone agents (to name a few).
Avianca LifeMiles has been the poster child for these kind of issues, as it offers some great award prices, yet its website had many limitations, and its call center is extremely difficult to handle. But after a scheduled outage to its site, LifeMiles is back with a much more attractive version, though whether it will materially improve the award booking process is still unknown.
Exploring the New Site
Avianca clearly invested a lot of effort into the new site, but it’s unclear if it’s much of a leap forward in functionality. First, you are able to search by a single airline, the entire Star Alliance or do something called a “Smart Search,” which appears to be the Star Alliance plus their two non-alliance partners AeroMexico and Iberia. However, the program’s initial search screen leaves out one important detail: the dates of your flight. You’ll have to wait to fill that in on the next screen.
If the site finds the seats you’re looking for, it appears to be a straightforward process to book them. Furthermore, there are reports from FlyerTalk of the program now having more access to partner award flights that weren’t available before, such as Turkish, South African and some Lufthansa first class flights.
Yet United.com quickly found this routing and other options in business class (despite its seven-day fare calendar being inaccurate).
Why LifeMiles Are so Valuable
While you might not be flying on Avianca to Latin America anytime soon, the LifeMiles program has gained a following due to the low prices it offers for awards, and because it has no fuel surcharges on premium class international awards. For more information, read Senior Points and Miles Contributor Richard Kerr’s posts on Everything You Need to Know About Avianca LifeMiles and Hidden Gems of the Avianca LifeMiles Program.
LifeMiles can also be especially valuable for domestic flights, as I point out in my post on Best Ways to Redeem Capital One Miles for Domestic Flights. As shown in the example above, many United-operated flights within the US will set you back just 7,500 miles each way.
Finally, LifeMiles are extremely easy to come by, as it’s a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards, the Marriott Bonvoy program, Citi ThankYou Rewards and Capital One. If you have rewards in any of these programs, you can pool them into your LifeMiles account and start traveling. Avianca also frequently runs bonuses on purchased miles as well as mileage transfers, giving you the opportunity to pick them up for as little as 1.35 cents apiece, well below TPG’s most recent valuation of 1.7 cents.
It’s great to see LifeMiles investing in its website, and members will certainly appreciate the chance to redeem their miles online with additional Star Alliance partners. It’s just too bad that they didn’t put more thought into the design of the site, and it’s still not as functional as other Star Alliance websites. Having a website with a challenging interface never stopped award travel enthusiasts from taking advantage of a great deal, and I’m sure the new LifeMiles website won’t be too great of a challenge either. Here’s hoping that the program continues to update both the front-end look and back-end functionality in the weeks and months to come.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees