This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Award booking with Avianca Lifemiles will be completely offline for five days in February. The mileage program will be upgrading its IT systems from Feb. 1 through Feb. 5, and during that time flyers will be unable to access the Lifemiles website or make award bookings via any avenue.
The two biggest things to note is that you won’t be able to access the Lifemiles website or app during this time, and you’ll be unable to make any award bookings online or over the phone. You’ll still earn Lifemiles on Avianca flights and Star Alliance partner flights during the outage dates, you just won’t be able to see your updated balance until the website is back online.
Lifemiles detailed everything that will be affected during the outage:
- You will not be able to access or transact in LifeMiles.com or the LifeMiles Mobile App. Our Call Center and Service Centers will be open but will not be able to make transactions in our systems either during this period
- You will not be able to redeem with LifeMiles or any of our partners
- You can continue to earn miles as normal with Avianca, Star Alliance airlines and with most of our partners. These miles will be reflected in your account once the system upgrade is complete
- You can continue purchasing tickets and transacting with Avianca through their channels as usual
- Elite members will continue to receive benefits such as upgrades at the airport, access to VIP lounges, etc. as normal
- Your miles and information will be safe. Once systems are back up and running, you will be able to access your account with your pre-existing user name and passwords
Lifemiles is one of our favorite mileage programs for booking Star Alliance awards, think United business or Lufthansa First. It offers great rates for premium cabins, like 87,000 miles for Lufthansa First to Europe or 75,000 miles in ANA business to Asia. It’s great for economy awards within the US, too. United flights start at just 7,500 miles one-way. But the highlight of the program is its lack of fuel surcharges when booking awards — you’ll just have to fork over the miles, a $25 booking fee and any taxes.
If you do want to make a booking through Lifemiles, you’ll have to do so before Feb. 1 or after the Feb. 5. The program is transfer partners with Amex Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou, Capital One — all of which can be instantly transferred to Lifemiles.
Good cards to earn points that transfer to Lifemiles are the Platinum Card® from American Express, the American Express® Gold Card the Citi Premier Card or the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
Featured image by Ravi Ghelani / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees