Avianca Lifemiles to Shutdown For 5 Days of Maintenance in February
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Award booking with Avianca Lifemiles will be completely offline for five days in February. The mileage program will be upgrading its IT systems from Feb. 1 through Feb. 5, and during that time flyers will be unable to access the Lifemiles website or make award bookings via any avenue.
The two biggest things to note is that you won’t be able to access the Lifemiles website or app during this time, and you’ll be unable to make any award bookings online or over the phone. You’ll still earn Lifemiles on Avianca flights and Star Alliance partner flights during the outage dates, you just won’t be able to see your updated balance until the website is back online.
Lifemiles detailed everything that will be affected during the outage:
- You will not be able to access or transact in LifeMiles.com or the LifeMiles Mobile App. Our Call Center and Service Centers will be open but will not be able to make transactions in our systems either during this period
- You will not be able to redeem with LifeMiles or any of our partners
- You can continue to earn miles as normal with Avianca, Star Alliance airlines and with most of our partners. These miles will be reflected in your account once the system upgrade is complete
- You can continue purchasing tickets and transacting with Avianca through their channels as usual
- Elite members will continue to receive benefits such as upgrades at the airport, access to VIP lounges, etc. as normal
- Your miles and information will be safe. Once systems are back up and running, you will be able to access your account with your pre-existing user name and passwords
Lifemiles is one of our favorite mileage programs for booking Star Alliance awards, think United business or Lufthansa First. It offers great rates for premium cabins, like 87,000 miles for Lufthansa First to Europe or 75,000 miles in ANA business to Asia. It’s great for economy awards within the US, too. United flights start at just 7,500 miles one-way. But the highlight of the program is its lack of fuel surcharges when booking awards — you’ll just have to fork over the miles, a $25 booking fee and any taxes.
If you do want to make a booking through Lifemiles, you’ll have to do so before Feb. 1 or after the Feb. 5. The program is transfer partners with Amex Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou, Capital One — all of which can be instantly transferred to Lifemiles.
Good cards to earn points that transfer to Lifemiles are the Platinum Card® from American Express, the American Express® Gold Card the Citi Premier® Card or the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
Featured image by Ravi Ghelani / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.