Avianca Lifemiles to Shutdown For 5 Days of Maintenance in February
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Award booking with Avianca Lifemiles will be completely offline for five days in February. The mileage program will be upgrading its IT systems from Feb. 1 through Feb. 5, and during that time flyers will be unable to access the Lifemiles website or make award bookings via any avenue.
The two biggest things to note is that you won’t be able to access the Lifemiles website or app during this time, and you’ll be unable to make any award bookings online or over the phone. You’ll still earn Lifemiles on Avianca flights and Star Alliance partner flights during the outage dates, you just won’t be able to see your updated balance until the website is back online.
Lifemiles detailed everything that will be affected during the outage:
- You will not be able to access or transact in LifeMiles.com or the LifeMiles Mobile App. Our Call Center and Service Centers will be open but will not be able to make transactions in our systems either during this period
- You will not be able to redeem with LifeMiles or any of our partners
- You can continue to earn miles as normal with Avianca, Star Alliance airlines and with most of our partners. These miles will be reflected in your account once the system upgrade is complete
- You can continue purchasing tickets and transacting with Avianca through their channels as usual
- Elite members will continue to receive benefits such as upgrades at the airport, access to VIP lounges, etc. as normal
- Your miles and information will be safe. Once systems are back up and running, you will be able to access your account with your pre-existing user name and passwords
Lifemiles is one of our favorite mileage programs for booking Star Alliance awards, think United business or Lufthansa First. It offers great rates for premium cabins, like 87,000 miles for Lufthansa First to Europe or 75,000 miles in ANA business to Asia. It’s great for economy awards within the US, too. United flights start at just 7,500 miles one-way. But the highlight of the program is its lack of fuel surcharges when booking awards — you’ll just have to fork over the miles, a $25 booking fee and any taxes.
If you do want to make a booking through Lifemiles, you’ll have to do so before Feb. 1 or after the Feb. 5. The program is transfer partners with Amex Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou, Capital One — all of which can be instantly transferred to Lifemiles.
Good cards to earn points that transfer to Lifemiles are the Platinum Card® from American Express, the American Express® Gold Card the Citi Premier® Card or the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
Featured image by Ravi Ghelani / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees