Avianca LifeMiles Introduces Short-Haul US Awards Starting at 7,500 Miles One-Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avianca’s LifeMiles program has some hidden gems, such as reasonably priced international premium-cabin awards. It’s just added a discounted redemption option for short-haul awards in the US, potentially making it even more valuable.
With the new option, you’ll be able to fly domestically on short-haul routes for as few as 7,500 miles one-way. In economy, you can fly one-way between the US1 and US3 regions (i.e., New York to California) for 12,500 miles one-way. Here’s a full screenshot of what awards will cost you for these domestic routes:
Avianca’s new chart breaks the US into three regions. Oddly enough, Washington State and West Virginia don’t appear to be included in any of the groups; the award chart lists a Washington in the US1 group along with other states on the East Coast, leading us to believe this means Washington, D.C. Based on Washington’s location, it’ll likely be included in US3 along with Oregon and other West Coast states. We reached out to LifeMiles for clarification but have yet to hear back.
For reference, here’s how LifeMiles breaks down each of the US zones:
United States 1: Connecticut, North Carolina, South Carolina, Delaware, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington (D.C.)
United States 2: Alabama, Arkansas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Wisconsin
United States 3: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Wyoming
These awards are now bookable, and there appears to be some decent availability based on searches at the LifeMiles website. For example, you can fly from Newark (EWR) to Boston (BOS) for 7,500 LifeMiles with United:
On the same flight, United is charging 10,000 miles:
Avianca LifeMiles is a transfer partner of Citi ThankYou Rewards (1:1), Capital One (2:1.5 ratio), Marriott Bonvoy (3:1) and Amex Membership Rewards (1:1 ratio). Plus, the program frequently sells its miles for cheap. If you’re able to purchase some LifeMiles, this new addition to the program could make for a valuable redemption.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees