This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avianca’s LifeMiles program has some hidden gems, such as reasonably priced international premium-cabin awards. It’s just added a discounted redemption option for short-haul awards in the US, potentially making it even more valuable.
With the new option, you’ll be able to fly domestically on short-haul routes for as few as 7,500 miles one-way. In economy, you can fly one-way between the US1 and US3 regions (i.e., New York to California) for 12,500 miles one-way. Here’s a full screenshot of what awards will cost you for these domestic routes:
Avianca’s new chart breaks the US into three regions. Oddly enough, Washington State and West Virginia don’t appear to be included in any of the groups; the award chart lists a Washington in the US1 group along with other states on the East Coast, leading us to believe this means Washington, D.C. Based on Washington’s location, it’ll likely be included in US3 along with Oregon and other West Coast states. We reached out to LifeMiles for clarification but have yet to hear back.
For reference, here’s how LifeMiles breaks down each of the US zones:
United States 1: Connecticut, North Carolina, South Carolina, Delaware, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington (D.C.)
United States 2: Alabama, Arkansas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Wisconsin
United States 3: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Wyoming
These awards are now bookable, and there appears to be some decent availability based on searches at the LifeMiles website. For example, you can fly from Newark (EWR) to Boston (BOS) for 7,500 LifeMiles with United:
On the same flight, United is charging 10,000 miles:
Avianca LifeMiles is a transfer partner of Citi ThankYou Rewards (1:1), Capital One (2:1.5 ratio), Marriott Bonvoy (3:1) and Amex Membership Rewards (1:1 ratio). Plus, the program frequently sells its miles for cheap. If you’re able to purchase some LifeMiles, this new addition to the program could make for a valuable redemption.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees