Airbus delivers its first U.S.-assembled A220 from Mobile, Alabama
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first of Airbus’ A220 aircraft assembled in the United States has just been delivered to Delta Air Lines, the world’s largest A220 customer.
This marks a significant milestone for Airbus, which purchased majority ownership of the A220 program, formerly known as CSeries, from the Canada-based Bombardier in 2018.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airbus’ Mobile, Alabama plant was initially viewed as a workaround to avoid potential import tariffs on aircraft built at Bombardier’s factory in Quebec. However, the tariffs never materialized and Airbus still moved forward with producing the jet in the U.S., just a few feet from Airbus’ A320 family final assembly line.
“The delivery of the first U.S.-built A220-300 is a historic moment that highlights Airbus’ growing industrial footprint in North America and makes us all extremely proud,” said C. Jeffrey Knittel, Chairman & CEO Airbus Americas, Inc. “We look forward to seeing passengers delighted by the experience of travelling on board this brand new A220-300 proudly built in Mobile, Alabama.”
The A220-300, registered N302DU, also happens to be the first stretched variant for Delta, which has only flown the smaller -100 thus far. The plane is configured with 12 first class, 30 extra-legroom economy and 88 economy seats. As with the -100, passengers will enjoy personal seatback entertainment screens, inflight WiFi and in-seat power outlets.
Related: Why I’m a fan of Delta’s Airbus A220
While no inaugural flight has been formally announced yet, the aircraft is expected to begin commercial operations in mid-November. To start, the aircraft will be based in Salt Lake City (SLC), operating daily flights to Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS), followed by Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC) and Sacramento International Airport (SMF).
Delta has made it clear that it’s committed to the Airbus A220 program. In addition to the 31 A220-100s it already has in its fleet, the Atlanta-based carrier still has 14 A220-100s and 49 A220-300s on order. It’s also the only aircraft type that the carrier has not put any in storage.
The next A220-300 to roll out of the Mobile assembly line is due for delivery to JetBlue in December. JetBlue will be only the second airline in the U.S. to fly the A220.
Featured image by Darren Murph/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees