First A320 Built in Airbus’ US Facility Takes Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first of Airbus’ A320 aircraft that was assembled in the United States took to the air for the first time. The A320, which will eventually be delivered to low-cost carrier Spirit Airlines later this summer, took off from the new Airbus facility in Mobile, Alabama this week.
The four-hour test flight departed from the Mobile Aeroplex at Brookley so Airbus could conduct tests on the aircraft’s systems and engines.
— Airbus In the U.S. (@AirbusInTheUS) August 15, 2017
In 2015, Airbus, which is based in Toulouse, France, announced that it was set to open an assembly plant in Mobile — its first in the United States. In early May of this year, the manufacturer announced that it had begun assembling of this first A320 aircraft bound for Spirit.
Thus far, the only aircraft that have been assembled in its Mobile plant have been A321s which have been delivered to JetBlue and others. Since Airbus began assembling in Mobile in 2015, it has delivered 36 A321s. The Mobile facility is equipped to build three members of the Airbus family — the A319, A320 and A321.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees