First A320 Built in Airbus’ US Facility Takes Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first of Airbus’ A320 aircraft that was assembled in the United States took to the air for the first time. The A320, which will eventually be delivered to low-cost carrier Spirit Airlines later this summer, took off from the new Airbus facility in Mobile, Alabama this week.
The four-hour test flight departed from the Mobile Aeroplex at Brookley so Airbus could conduct tests on the aircraft’s systems and engines.
— Airbus In the U.S. (@AirbusInTheUS) August 15, 2017
In 2015, Airbus, which is based in Toulouse, France, announced that it was set to open an assembly plant in Mobile — its first in the United States. In early May of this year, the manufacturer announced that it had begun assembling of this first A320 aircraft bound for Spirit.
Thus far, the only aircraft that have been assembled in its Mobile plant have been A321s which have been delivered to JetBlue and others. Since Airbus began assembling in Mobile in 2015, it has delivered 36 A321s. The Mobile facility is equipped to build three members of the Airbus family — the A319, A320 and A321.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.