Airbus boosts production rate at Alabama assembly line
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
European plane manufacturer Airbus said it will boost production at its new assembly plant in Mobile, Alabama.
The airframer said it will produce seven A320s per month at the plant by the end of 2021, up from the current monthly rate of five.
“This increase in commercial aircraft production in Mobile is an exciting expansion of our significant industrial investment in the U.S., and it continues Airbus’ positive contribution to American aerospace,” Jeffrey Knittel, Airbus Americas’ CEO said in a Thursday statement announcing the increase.
According to the manufacturer, the increased production rate, coupled with recruiting for the A220 manufacturing team there, will result in an additional 275 jobs in Mobile in the next year.
Airbus had long been the second-largest commercial airplane maker in the world, behind U.S. giant Boeing. But, with the ongoing grounding of Boeings 737 MAX fleet, the European company surpassed Boeing to claim the title for 2019.
Airbus’ Mobile facility opened in 2015, giving the European manufacturer the ability to assemble its A320 family jets in the U.S. as the European company looked to make inroads in the American market against the presence of homegrown giant Boeing. Airbus’ A220 assembly line in Mobile began operations over the summer, and the first U.S.-built version of the plane should be delivered to Delta in the third quarter of this year, according to Airbus.
Some industry analysts however, see the move as a way for Airbus to add to its political capital in the U.S., and as vehicle to avoid tariffs meant to hinder foreign plane makers in the American market.
“There are ways to defend yourself against antiglobaliztion measures, and this is one of them,” said Richard Aboulafia, a vice president of analysis focusing on aviation at Teal Group.
Featured photo by Luke Sharrett/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees