Check out JetBlue’s first Airbus A220, due to begin carrying flyers early next year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus has painted the first A220 bound for JetBlue Airways, some welcome upbeat news for the New York-based airline during this coronavirus pandemic-dominated year.
The A220-300 features a new tailfin dubbed “Hops” by JetBlue. The design is inspired by the idea of “connecting many short trips together as part of a larger journey” — or “hopping.”
The plane is due for delivery to JetBlue from Airbus’ final assembly line in Mobile, Alabama, in December. It will begin carrying travelers sometime early in 2021 with airline spokesperson Philip Stewart mum on what routes it will fly.
In May, JetBlue CEO Robin Hayes said the A220 could allow the airline to better serve higher-frequency routes like those between Boston (BOS) and Washington Reagan National (DCA). However, high-frequency routes have seen some of the deepest cuts across JetBlue’s — and other airlines’ — maps as COVID has hit business travel far worse than leisure flyers who are less time sensitive.
For example, JetBlue flew between Boston and Baltimore/Washington (BWI) up to five times a day, Philadelphia (PHL) eight times a day and Washington National 15 times a day in November 2019, according to Cirium. This year, it has suspended both the Boston-Baltimore and Boston-Philadelphia routes altogether and is only flying up to four Boston-Washington flights.
This shift in schedules could see JetBlue debut the A220 in markets where more holidaygoers are flying.
JetBlue has orders for 70 A220-300s, which were formerly known as the Bombardier CS300. The planes will replace the 60 Embraer E190s that the carrier flies, something that is due to occur by 2025.
The airline’s A220s will be laid out in a 2-3 all-economy configuration with seating for around 130 passengers.
In addition to the one A220 that JetBlue will take this year, it is scheduled to add seven more in 2021 and another eight in 2022.
Featured image courtesy of JetBlue Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees