JetBlue’s first Airbus A220 nears completion in Alabama
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue’s first Airbus A220 will be made in America, and will be the first jet of the type to come off a new dedicated production line in Mobile, Alabama.
The aircraft is scheduled to be delivered to JetBlue later this year, according to the latest production schedule, and the airline plans to configure the plane to carry around 130 passengers in a 2-3 configuration.
While some A220s were already being built in Mobile, they were put together on a borrowed A320 production line. The JetBlue-bound airframe will be the first to roll out of a newly-expanded facility, dedicated to producing the smaller A220 line.
Airbus’ A220 is poised to become an even more important part of many airlines’ fleets — not just JetBlue’s — as the industry slowly rebounds from coronavirus.
Aviation experts have predicted it will take a number of years for passenger traffic to return to its pre-pandemic peak, meaning the A220’s position as a lower-capacity mainline jet makes it well-suited for the industry’s needs during the first phase of recovery.
In a call with investors earlier this month, Steve Priest, JetBlue’s chief financial officer, said he is “pleased” to be introducing an aircraft with such “spectacular” economics into JetBlue’s fleet. He added that the pandemic has not changed the niche that the A220 will fill for the airline.
Airbus announced the opening of a new 270,000 square-foot final assembly hangar Tuesday, completing its first dedicated A220 production line in the U.S.
“The expansion of our commercial aircraft production in Mobile to a second product line further solidifies Airbus’ standing as a truly global aircraft manufacturer, and confirms that Airbus is an important part of the American manufacturing landscape,” Paul Gaskell, head of the A220 program in Mobile, said in a statement. “This A220 assembly line will help satisfy the U.S. demand for the A220 aircraft.”
As if to prove Gaskell’s point, as airlines around the world have grounded large swathes of their fleet, most A220s remain on the schedule. For example, Delta — currently one of the world’s largest operators of the jet — has kept all of its A220s in the air, even as it has announced the retirement of whole other fleets, including its MD-80s and Boeing 777s. The big Boeing, of course, is not a competitor to the A220, though its retirement does underscore how the requirements for airlines’ fleets are rapidly changing.
JetBlue has 70 A220s on order, and after receiving its first later this year, expects to take seven more in 2021.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees