Airbus rolls out first A220 assembled in Mobile
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus rolled out the first A220 assembled at its plant in Mobile, Alabama, with the jet due to Delta Air Lines by September.
The A220-300 will be the first stretched variant of the the former Bombardier CSeries narrow-body for Atlanta-based Delta who introduced the smaller -100 in February 2019. The airline expects deliveries of six A220-300s, which it outfits with 130 seats, this year.
It’s the 1st #Delta #Airbus #A220-300 MSN 55070, picture taken exiting from the paint shop this afternoon in #Mobile #Alabama #KBFM #BFM #avgeek #avgeeks #planespotting #nikon #nikonphotography pic.twitter.com/8U6JFvj2Vz
— Francois Tasse (@War_bird) March 3, 2020
Airbus has been working towards its first Mobile-built A220 since 2017. The assembly line came out of a trade dispute between Boeing and Bombardier as a work around for potential U.S. tariffs on aircraft built at Bombardier’s factory in Quebec. While the tariffs were never levied, Airbus went ahead with producing the jet in Alabama and work on the new plant began last January. The first A220 assembled there began coming together in August.
Jets for both Delta and JetBlue Airways will be assembled in Mobile, under the European planemaker’s plans. JetBlue expects its first of 70 A220-300s by year-end.
Delta is the North American launch operator of the A220. It debuted the A220-100 on select flights from New York LaGuardia (LGA) just over a year ago.
The carrier will configure its A220-300s with 12 first class, 30 extra-legroom economy and 88 economy seats, according to an internal fleet guide viewed by TPG. Passengers will be able to enjoy personal seatback entertainment screens and inflight Wi-Fi on the jet as they do on the smaller -100.
Delta has firm orders for 50 A220-300s, its latest fleet plan shows.
Related: Why I’m a fan of Delta’s Airbus A220
Featured image by Noam Galai/Getty Images for Delta.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.