Airbus rolls out first A220 assembled in Mobile
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus rolled out the first A220 assembled at its plant in Mobile, Alabama, with the jet due to Delta Air Lines by September.
The A220-300 will be the first stretched variant of the the former Bombardier CSeries narrow-body for Atlanta-based Delta who introduced the smaller -100 in February 2019. The airline expects deliveries of six A220-300s, which it outfits with 130 seats, this year.
It’s the 1st #Delta #Airbus #A220-300 MSN 55070, picture taken exiting from the paint shop this afternoon in #Mobile #Alabama #KBFM #BFM #avgeek #avgeeks #planespotting #nikon #nikonphotography pic.twitter.com/8U6JFvj2Vz
— Francois Tasse (@War_bird) March 3, 2020
Airbus has been working towards its first Mobile-built A220 since 2017. The assembly line came out of a trade dispute between Boeing and Bombardier as a work around for potential U.S. tariffs on aircraft built at Bombardier’s factory in Quebec. While the tariffs were never levied, Airbus went ahead with producing the jet in Alabama and work on the new plant began last January. The first A220 assembled there began coming together in August.
Jets for both Delta and JetBlue Airways will be assembled in Mobile, under the European planemaker’s plans. JetBlue expects its first of 70 A220-300s by year-end.
Delta is the North American launch operator of the A220. It debuted the A220-100 on select flights from New York LaGuardia (LGA) just over a year ago.
The carrier will configure its A220-300s with 12 first class, 30 extra-legroom economy and 88 economy seats, according to an internal fleet guide viewed by TPG. Passengers will be able to enjoy personal seatback entertainment screens and inflight Wi-Fi on the jet as they do on the smaller -100.
Delta has firm orders for 50 A220-300s, its latest fleet plan shows.
Related: Why I’m a fan of Delta’s Airbus A220
Featured image by Noam Galai/Getty Images for Delta.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees