First US-Made Airbus A220 Now In Production in Alabama
The first Airbus A220 to be made in the US is now under production at the manufacturer’s new final assembly line in Mobile, Alabama.
The A220-300 bound for Delta Air Lines will take roughly 10 months to assemble as certification and training on the new production line occur concurrently, Airbus spokeswoman Kristi Tucker said to TPG. The Atlanta-based carrier is scheduled to take delivery of the aircraft in the third quarter of 2020.
“It’s exciting to see the start of production on the A220 in Mobile,” Paul Gaskell, president of Airbus’s A220 program in the US, said in a statement “We look forward to all of the milestones along the way to a successful delivery to the customer next year.”
The Mobile plant will be able to churn out 40-50 A220s annually by the mid-2020s, the airframer says. The facility is adjacent to Airbus’ existing A320 family US final assembly line at the Mobile Downtown Airport (BFM).
Delta is the US launch operator of the A220. It has 18 A220-100s in its fleet already, plus firm orders for another 45 -100s and 50 -300s, Airbus data shows.
“The entire Delta family is excitedly looking forward to taking our first highly efficient A220-300 from Airbus’ Mobile final assembly line,” Delta spokesman Morgan Durrant told TPG.
The SkyTeam Alliance carrier debuted the A220 to positive passenger feedback in February. Delta now flies the aircraft on more than 20 domestic routes, including soon between its Atlanta (ATL) base and Seattle-Tacoma (SEA).
Other North American commitments for the A220 include an order for 45 -300s from Air Canada, and 70 -300s from JetBlue Airways.
The A220 competes with Embraer’s E2 family, as well as with the smallest Airbus and Boeing narrowbodies, the A319neo and 737 MAX 7, respectively.
Airbus announced plans for the Mobile A220 assembly line in October 2017. At the time, the then-Bombardier CSeries program was embroiled in a trade complaint brought by Boeing that could result in any foreign-built aircraft delivered to US carriers being levied with an up to 292% tariff. The Mobile facility was seen as a workaround that would allow deliveries to Delta to avoid the levy.
“While we’ve worked through a lot of challenges since that time… despite all the tariffs and trade and political challenges, we never wavered,” Delta CEO Ed Bastian, said at an event to mark the first delivery at Airbus’ plant in Mirabel, Quebec. “We knew this plane needed to fly.”
— Edward Russell (@e_russell) October 26, 2018
Airbus plans to continue A220 deliveries from both Mirabel and Mobile when the new assembly line in Alabama opens.
Featured image courtesy of Delta.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.