JetBlue Places Massive Order For the New Airbus A220-300
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It was just Tuesday morning that we learned the fate of Bombardier’s former C Series program. Effectively immediately, the CS100 became the Airbus A220-100, with the CS300 now known as the A220-300.
Now, we’ve learned that JetBlue has placed a very significant order for the latest Airbus jet. The carrier will take delivery of 60 Airbus A220-300s beginning in 2020, at which point it will begin phasing out its Embraer 190 fleet. JetBlue also has the option of purchasing an additional 60 A220 jets beginning in 2025 — if both orders pan out, we could see more than 100 JetBlue A220s flying around the country by the middle of the next decade. All of JetBlue’s A220s will be assembled at Airbus’ Mobile, Alabama facility.
The A220-300 can accommodate up to 160 passengers in an all-economy configuration, but we could see that count drop closer to JetBlue’s 100-seat Embraer 190s, since the airline’s known for offering far more legroom than the competition, both in its base economy seats and in Even More Space rows.
While the Embraer 190 is known for being a fairly comfortable aircraft, thanks to its 18.25-inch-wide seats, there’s no question that the Airbus A220 represents a huge upgrade when it comes to passenger comfort — especially if JetBlue decides to install comfortable seats, with legroom similar to what you can experience with the carrier’s Airbus fleet today.
Along with the order, JetBlue also converted its order for 25 A320neos to the A321neo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees