JetBlue Places Massive Order For the New Airbus A220-300
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It was just Tuesday morning that we learned the fate of Bombardier’s former C Series program. Effectively immediately, the CS100 became the Airbus A220-100, with the CS300 now known as the A220-300.
Now, we’ve learned that JetBlue has placed a very significant order for the latest Airbus jet. The carrier will take delivery of 60 Airbus A220-300s beginning in 2020, at which point it will begin phasing out its Embraer 190 fleet. JetBlue also has the option of purchasing an additional 60 A220 jets beginning in 2025 — if both orders pan out, we could see more than 100 JetBlue A220s flying around the country by the middle of the next decade. All of JetBlue’s A220s will be assembled at Airbus’ Mobile, Alabama facility.
The A220-300 can accommodate up to 160 passengers in an all-economy configuration, but we could see that count drop closer to JetBlue’s 100-seat Embraer 190s, since the airline’s known for offering far more legroom than the competition, both in its base economy seats and in Even More Space rows.
While the Embraer 190 is known for being a fairly comfortable aircraft, thanks to its 18.25-inch-wide seats, there’s no question that the Airbus A220 represents a huge upgrade when it comes to passenger comfort — especially if JetBlue decides to install comfortable seats, with legroom similar to what you can experience with the carrier’s Airbus fleet today.
Along with the order, JetBlue also converted its order for 25 A320neos to the A321neo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.