Delta Schedules the A220 for Transcon Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airline Route has reported on Twitter that beginning June 8, 2020, Delta will fly the A220-100 from Atlanta to Seattle. The outbound flight will depart Atlanta at 7:00AM and then return to Atlanta on a 5:30PM departure from Seattle.
The outbound flight looks to be averaging roughly 4 hours and 40 min of flight time and the return roughly four hours of flight time. The route comes in at 2,182 miles, well within the 3,000+ mile range of the A220.
TPG Senior Writer Darren Murph reviewed the Delta A220, giving the plane high praise with its large overhead bins, high-speed 2Ku Wi-Fi, the widest main cabin seats in the Delta fleet, and a more tolerable 3-2 layout. Seats for the inaugural flight are already loaded and selling for $283 in main cabin and $887 for first class.
Putting a plane with such small capacity — 109 seats — on this Atlanta to Seattle flight is a curious move given its popularity and frequency. One could speculate the flight is positioning for crew or maintainers, or that Delta is testing the “regional jet of the future” on longer routes within its designed range.
I, for one, would enjoy flying the plane on the 2 side of the 3-2 layout, and would be plenty productive on the transcontinental route with the high speed Wi-Fi. June 2020 is a long way off so let’s hope this schedule sticks.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees