Delta Schedules the A220 for Transcon Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airline Route has reported on Twitter that beginning June 8, 2020, Delta will fly the A220-100 from Atlanta to Seattle. The outbound flight will depart Atlanta at 7:00AM and then return to Atlanta on a 5:30PM departure from Seattle.
The outbound flight looks to be averaging roughly 4 hours and 40 min of flight time and the return roughly four hours of flight time. The route comes in at 2,182 miles, well within the 3,000+ mile range of the A220.
TPG Senior Writer Darren Murph reviewed the Delta A220, giving the plane high praise with its large overhead bins, high-speed 2Ku Wi-Fi, the widest main cabin seats in the Delta fleet, and a more tolerable 3-2 layout. Seats for the inaugural flight are already loaded and selling for $283 in main cabin and $887 for first class.
Putting a plane with such small capacity — 109 seats — on this Atlanta to Seattle flight is a curious move given its popularity and frequency. One could speculate the flight is positioning for crew or maintainers, or that Delta is testing the “regional jet of the future” on longer routes within its designed range.
I, for one, would enjoy flying the plane on the 2 side of the 3-2 layout, and would be plenty productive on the transcontinental route with the high speed Wi-Fi. June 2020 is a long way off so let’s hope this schedule sticks.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.