American Airlines adds online award booking for Royal Air Maroc
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As reported by AwardWallet, American Airlines AAdvantage members can now book Royal Air Maroc award tickets online. American Airlines started offering reciprocal mileage earning and redemption on Royal Air Maroc shortly after the airline joined the Oneworld alliance in April, but award tickets had to be booked over the phone.
This change means that AAdvantage members can now skip the call center and book Royal Air Maroc award tickets from their computer. This is an overwhelmingly positive change that saves travelers time, especially during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, when airline call centers are experiencing massive hold times.
The addition of Royal Air Maroc means that AAdvantage members can now book flights on 20 partner airlines through the American website, up from just eight airlines at the beginning of 2018. This continues to make American’s website one of the best for finding Oneworld award space.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Pricing Royal Air Maroc award tickets
Royal Air Maroc is based in Casablanca (CMN), which American previously considered a part of Africa on its award chart.
Thankfully, American moved Morocco to the Europe award region in April, making award tickets on Royal Air Maroc less expensive.
This change also means that AAdvantage members can book connecting tickets to Europe through Casablanca and pay no additional miles. Previously, AAdvantage members had to book two separate tickets in order to connect to Europe through Casablanca, making for a far more expensive award ticket.
Here’s a look at American’s pricing from North America to Europe, including Casablanca:
- Economy Off-Peak: 22,500 miles one-way
- Economy Standard: 30,000 miles one-way
- Business Class: 57,500 miles one-way
Award taxes and fees are low too — one-way tickets from the U.S. to Casablanca awards have just $5.60 in associated taxes and fees. This makes Royal Air Maroc a great way to fly to Europe without paying the huge fuel surcharges attached to British Airways tickets.
We’re seeing wide-open award space from Royal Air Maroc’s U.S. gateways in Boston (BOS), New York-JFK and Washington-Dulles (IAD) to Casablanca in late-2020. This may be worth considering if you’re planning a post-coronavirus outbreak trip to Europe, but be sure to keep American’s change and cancellation policies in mind when you book.
Related Reading: American and Alaska launch full reciprocal mileage earning
This change is good for Etihad bookings, too
One of the best parts of the Etihad Guest program is its partnership with Royal Air Maroc. This partnership was recently devalued, but you can still use just 22,000 Etihad Guest miles to fly from the U.S. to Morocco in economy class or 44,000 miles in business. This is one of the cheapest ways to cross the Atlantic with points and miles.
Until now, there hasn’t been a way to find Royal Air Maroc award space online, so you had to call Etihad and have the phone representative find award space for you. Now with award space showing online, you can find Royal Air Maroc award space on AA.com before you call and speed up the booking process.
It’s great to see American Airlines add online Royal Air Maroc bookings so quickly. Not only are Royal Air Maroc award tickets a good use of AAdvantage miles, but it makes booking these tickets with Etihad Guest easier than ever.
Feature photo by Brendan Dorsey/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees